1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to run smaller diameter rotors. machine calipers/spindle or just run em?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mattology, Nov 25, 2018.

1. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

brake caliper and spindles call for 310mm

bike normally uses 298mm rotors.

what happens if i run the 298mm rotors as is? chatter?

i'm not really interested in running the larger rotors. i would like to either run them as is, or machine the difference off either the caliper, spindle, or both, to bring the radial caliper in the 6mm to run 298mm rotors.

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

If you run smaller rotors than the calipers are set up for, you won’t have full braking power as your pads won’t have full coverage on the rotor surface. If you don’t want to run the larger rotors, then you need to do the machining to get everything in proper engagement.

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

What's the reason to not run the larger rotor? Seems like a lot of hassle to go backward.

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The other issue with running smaller rotors is you'll wear lips into the pads. If ignored those lips will bind the pads before you wear them out normally.

Kyle Brosius and mike-guy like this.
  5. mattology

i'm going to machine the spindles and the calipers to space the caliper as needed to run the 298mm rotors.

thanks guys.

the bike already has plenty of stopping power as is, so i would like to keep the lighter rotors.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Try to take it all off the caliper. Don't take any off the stanchion if you can help it. If you lose that contact area on the stanchion you lose the strength of that attachment point. You will also probably have to remove the stanchion/foot from the fork leg to machine it, PITA without the proper tools.

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Braketech Ceramic Matrix Composite rotors. :D

8. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I think we all are assuming this is a radial setup? Not to question your intelligence but remember that rotors are measured in diameter, you are worried about radius distance so if it's 12mm small remove 6mm from whatever it is you choose.

9. mattology

Yes, it's a radial setup.

the braketech CMC's would be a wonderful choice if they were actually available. I am looking at braketech axis irons, using a V4 carrier with a 298mm disc mated up to it, with custom machined hub centric spacer to make up for the difference in size on the hub of the front wheel on the 250.

10. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

If you can cut all from calipers. I cut good number of R6 calipers for this same reason

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yup.
    BTW, I love my AXIS/Irons. Butter smooth, prolly due to the solid rotor design. Night and day improvement over OEM on my CBR. Going on my second set, gonna be the semi-narrow band this time around.

12. mattology

Hello,

I machined my calipers 6mm to properly fit the rotors.

Thank you for the information and help.