1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to handle race fuel between races/track days

Discussion in 'Tech' started by MAXdB, Jun 26, 2022.

1. MAXdB

MAXdB Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a race bike that’s been tuned for race fuel (c12, so leaded but not oxygenated). I was curious if I need to drain the fuel from the tank if the bike will be sitting longer than a couple weeks to avoid accelerated degradation of fuel lines or the fuel pump. Or does the fact that it’s not oxygenated and has no ethanol mean I can just leave the fuel in the bike.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I used to leave non oxygenated race fuel in my Dragbike without a problem. Also used to leave non ethanol pump gas in my road race bike without a problem. This was in the 80’s and 90s.

I did drain the fuel out of the RS125 2 Stroke and put it in a metal can to use again the next race weekend. It was to keep it fresh as possible.

I did run race fuel in my son’s hot rod Moriwaki, since it had high compression. I drained that and stored it back in a steel gas can. Not sure if that is needed but I’ve read storing in plastic lets the HP making stuff leach out? I think that might be only oxygenated fuel, but not sure.

When we moved to 600’s and 1000’s I was too cheap and lazy to buy MR12 and deal with draining after every event and then needing to run pump gas to flush out the fuel system and remove the contamination for the valves.

MR12 must be removed as it does damage stuff, I have seen it on friends bikes.

MAXdB likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

is the bike fuel injected or carbed?

4. MAXdB

MAXdB Well-Known Member

It’s fuel injected. It’s an ‘01 Ducati 748R that’s been bored out to 853. The previous owner strictly raced it so had it mapped with C12.

5. MAXdB

MAXdB Well-Known Member

Thanks Boman! Good to know.

6. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Ive always ran my bikes on empty and poured in regular fuel to help wash out the race fuel in the system. Having race fuel gum up your fuel system sucks a@$$

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. Philip Mirgliotta

Philip Mirgliotta Well-Known Member

C12 can stay in the tank for a long time. I actually use c12 to flush the gas out of my bikes that run on u4

Gino230, Phl218 and Boman Forklift like this.