1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How tight should my suit be?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by tearlessj, May 25, 2011.

1. tearlessj

tearlessj Well-Known Member

Weight?

2. teamneon

teamneon Well-Known Member

had same problems with my dianese suit...Barnacle bill is adjusting it as we speak

3. 6'4" 250 Athletic (AKA I where the weight well), 38/32 jeans. I have had all my measurements taken by a professional race suit builder (was for a custom suit I didn't end up get). I kept the measurements and whenever I look at size charts based on measurements I'm a 48 but by weight I'm a 50-52.

I test fitted a Violator size 50. Biggest complains I had were the shoulders feeling very tight (like I was getting a bear hug around my shoulders), and I was fighting the stretch in the knees and had a hard time picking my leg off the ground and getting the ball of my foot right on the peg.

I tried on a new A* GP-pro size 50 and thought that no suit could fit better until I tried on a size 50 Dainese Laguna Seca pro.

The A* was awesome and I was going to get it until my shop guy said I got a Dainese in if you want to try it and I figured why not. The shoulders on the A* were much better than the Teknic, and the legs were the best for the three suits. The Dainese has the stretch on the collarbone and rather than a bear hug around the shoulders it was like a slight tug that is perfect. The knees on the dainese or good but I liked the A* a little better cause the knee cup held things into place and when I lifted my leg everything moved like I thought it was going to whereas the dainese everything just kinda lays. I used a Knox Contour race with the Teknic and the back didn't bother me at all. The crotch on all suits suck... I actually raced with a cup in for a year cause it didn't cut the boys so bad and it actually gave me kind of a feeler on my superbike seat so I would slide over until the cup was off the foam and no farther.

In short after 3 suits my big guy guide to suits are... Your nuts are screwed not much you can do... A* better legs, Dainese better shoulders, Teknic is making a really good suit for the price but for someone trying to squeeze into a size it is a little tough. I really wish I could be more comfortable in the Teknic cause its 400 less than my dainese but you shouldn't buy on budget when its saving your ass... get the best you can afford.

4. blankwall

blankwall Well-Known Member

Suits are not meant to be comfortable. Im 6'3 200lbs and i wear a 42 dainese. My balls are scrunched and i cant stand up straight. I have to have help putting it on and off. But on the bike its perfect. No limitations of movement and keeps everything real tucked in. I just feel safe with this suit. Tighter is better when it comes to race suits.

5. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

:wow: A 42? You turn your leathers into a pair of skinnys? :D
    I'm 6'1", 205lbs and I'm a good-fitting 46 in everything.

The new Teknics don't fit small/or as small as they used to. Keep that in mind.

6. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I'm just a tad over 6foot and about 185.

44's are pretty tight, but here is a tip. When you first get the suit, put it on, with your back protector and stuff. Then jump in the shower, and go for a ride (or bike ride maybe if you don't have a street bike) till it's dry. It will tighten up a bit were it needs too, and if it's too tight somewhere it should loosen up a bit. No miracle cures, but it helped me.

7. Kelbor

Kelbor Well-Known Member

I have the same mid body length problem - cant grab drinks from higher then shoulders while out on a ride ect. If you have a bit of Native American in yer blood it can cause this - anthropologically speaking, we tend to have longer mid-body sections and shorter legs then most with a Euro-American heritage. Sucks for us when buying a suit.... but all the kick ass advantages having a bit of savage in ya easily outweighs:beer: having the boys smashed while reaching for top shelf redbull

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

When you talk about the fit of your leathers the word "tight" should never enter the conversation. If it does, the suit is too small.

You want snug, never tight.

9. mmarsden

mmarsden Active Member

im 5'11" 220 lbs. ive tried on a astar mx1 in a 46 and it fit good but i didnt have on my chest pro and back combo. i got a 36" waist and was wondering all your thoughts on maybe i should get a 48 vs a 46

10. InvisibleSaddle

InvisibleSaddle Well-Known Member

if you watched the ama superbike race at miller. you saw when blake won, on his victory lap. just how far he could get his arms up and overall how the suit fit him. best example I've seen so far on fitment.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

alpinestars suits seem to run european small. I would go for the 48 at a minimum. If you have bigger arms/shoulders... maybe even a 50.

12. tearlessj

tearlessj Well-Known Member

I just sold my suit, Lost $40 in the trade but atleast I got rid of it. Going to buy a 48 A* next week. Hopefully it fits a little more comfy.

13. fustyd

fustyd Well-Known Member

- (wings + beer) = better fitting leathers

if they only taught math like that in HS, I would have aced the class!

14. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

give Alexa (SpiderChick) a call http://spyderleatherworks.com 414.327.0967
    While I have no idea what it will cost to have your suit altered, in my experience, she doesn't charge nearly enough and her work is ALWAYS excellent.

15. Brandonk8-600

Brandonk8-600 New Member

Does anyone know about what size I would need? I'm 5'7" about 145 pounds. appreciate any help

16. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

38 should work for ya. I'm 5' 6" & 165 stocky, not fat and can squeeze into a Dainese 2 piece (38) with Knox back protector. Its tight and I've only worn the suit twice. Bought it without knowing what would fit me right...I could continue to use this suit if needed as long as my gut don't get any larger :)

17. Brandonk8-600

Brandonk8-600 New Member

thanks i was thinking 38 just wanted to check and see if i was anywhere close

18. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

I'm 5'7" - 170 stocky, not fat (all in the lower body from years of hockey). I wear an Alpinestars 40 with an Alpinestars back protector, fits perfectly.
    Just adding to the 'database' here ;)

19. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

i got a tight fitting size 52 shift vertex suit that i feel is contributing to my arm pump problem, im 5'11'' 200 pounds and lean but my arms feel like theyre god dam suffocating in this suit, i also need help getting this suit on and off

20. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

5'10" 208 lbs. I wear 36/32 jeans and have fairly wide shoulders. I had to get a 48/58 Alpinestars SP-1 and had Alexa shorten the legs and arms. I wear an older bulky Alpinestars back protector. I alson have a BKS suit size 48 and it has more of an "American" cut to it. It fits perfect with no alteratons. I wore it once for a track day and it just sits in the closet.