1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How tight should my suit be?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by tearlessj, May 25, 2011.

1. tearlessj

tearlessj Well-Known Member

I recently just purchased a used 1 piece Teknic Violator sz48 suit. I'm 6'0 219 lbs and going down. This is my first suit mind you.

It takes me about 5 minutes to put the suit on. It's pretty tight on my balls, and if I shrug my shoulders it squeezes my nuts. Sorry for all the information, just seeing if they're all like this.

Also, I can't seem to take the suit off by myself, I can't reach far back enough to pull it off my shoulders. I used to be able to just swing my legs over my bike to get on, now with the suit, its a little tricky.

I've read that its supposed to be tight, but this tight?

2. s2kenny

s2kenny Newbie

Sounds like a good fit.

A good suit will crunch the balls when you stand up straight, it should be most comfortable in the crouched position.

If you can still breathe, and be flexible in the suit, and not rotate your limbs inside the leather, then it fits good.

3. victorSCP

victorSCP Active Member

that sounds like its too tight...
    it shouldnt take that much effort to move in a suit

4. tearlessj

I'm going to ask a few of the local racers to see if its normal. The problem is that the the legs are a little long but the mid section is a little tight. :( So its not like I can go out and get a bigger size.

I have pretty short legs. I wear a 36/30 pair of jeans.

5. STEEZO

STEEZO Well-Known Member

What type of back/chest protection are you using? Maybe switch to something slimmer? I had an older A* Tech BP which definitely was a squeeze since it was bulky. I switched to a A* bionic vest and the suit fit a lot better

And I'm not a fan of having my nuts compressed, so my suit is probably one size too big. But I'm happy with the fit.

6. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

Teknic runs about a size small. I have a 50 xcelrator and im 6'2" 240. The length is pretty good but it is narrow in the shoulders.

My first suit was difficult to take off. There is a technique to to suit removal that I feel you have to learn. It will break in some though.

An undersuit will make things much easier BTW.

7. dubguy85

dubguy85 Well-Known Member

All brand of suits fit different. you might be fine with a different brand... It sounds TO tight to me.

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I have the exact same suit, I'm 6' 200lbs and mine was too tight. I ended up keeping it for a spare and found an A star suit in the same size (over on the WERA classifieds) that fits perfect.

Like someone else said, I guess the Teknic's just fit a bit tighter.

9. foster

foster Well-Known Member

I have the same suit and had the same problem. I had someone local alter it for me to give a bit extra room in the crotch and upper arms because I couldn't move very well in it. Much cheaper than buying a new suit. Just make sure if they don't commonly work on race suits they understand the importance of the stiching and what it must hold up to. Ideally take it to someone who knows race suits.

10. tearlessj

What size A* did you end up getting?

How much money should I be looking at to get my suit altered?

11. rd400racer

I paid $200 for the Teknic on the WERA classifieds and got the Astar for $250 at the same place (the Astar is a size 48 also).

I hung onto the Teknic but figured I could get 200 for it if I sold it.

And my Teknic was the exact same as yours....to tight in the crotch.

12. tearlessj

Wow you find some very nice deals. lol I'm about to put this suit up for sale, it bothers me that it's so tight on the balls. A* it is then!

13. rd400racer

Well, I don't know if this is the trick or I just got lucky, but I bought a bunch of gear (including 2 racebikes!) here on the Forum during the off-season and got great deals on everything.

14. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

The first 5 times I took my suit on and off, I struggled with it as well. It's an art that you'll catch on to with time.

To me, it sounds that the suit fits like it should. 1-pc's are never comfortable standing erect, but are once you are sitting on the bike.

It sounds like you're losing weight as well? If so, I'd definitely not go with a larger size...

15. tearlessj

Yea I was 231 4 weeks ago.

The problem is that the thighs and back also feel extremely tight when tucked. This is with the factory pad still in there (waiting for the back protector to come in). It's almost as if the back is keeping me from tucking all the way down.

Taking pictures probably wouldn't help right?

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

How much more weight do you think you will reasonably lose? You've lost 12lbs in 4 weeks which is great. Do you plan on getting down to 180, 190, 200? If you plan to get a bit lower, I would try and wait it out a bit, unless you can sell the suit for what you paid and pickup another great deal.

I raced with an old bulky back protector, my son has nice Impact Armor http://www.impactarmor.com/ and this armor is less bulky and used by Colin Edwards and Troy Bayliss.

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Tell me you use this as a pickup line, Ben...

"I race motorcycles - and if that doesn't impress you, I had to have the crotch of my racing suit let out to accommodate my manhood. Impressed yet?" :crackup:

18. foster

foster Well-Known Member

Haha, :crackup: how do you think I landed my wife?

19. foster

foster Well-Known Member

I think I paid around $85 if I recall. FYI I've crash tested the suit and it held up very well in a moderately fast low side, its a good one.

20. ScreamingSon

ScreamingSon Well-Known Member

I was wearing a sz 48 A* and it was just too tight with the back protector and I'm 6'1. I just bought a sz50. Fit is great, I love it