1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long before rebuild

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Robert P, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Robert P

Robert P Well-Known Member

Hey guys im just woundering.
    how much racing you can do before rebuilding your motor, and what do you use to judge if it needs to be rebuil Time, Miles, Days, ext?

also what would you do for a rebuild, just top end, bottom end, just rings what about the valves.

any info would be great thanks alot.

Im thinking more along the lines of a good MW bike im running a 2007 R6

thanks

2. georgiadawg

georgiadawg Elbows Out

If it ain't broke don't fix it that's what i say

3. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I have about 45 or so races on a stock GSXR750 motor and it just dynoed exactly the same as it did at the beginning of 2006 season. That tells me they are rugged motors.

4. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

If its stock, just make sure you keep the valves in proper adjustment. Check the service/owners manual for the recomended miles/time to adjust them. Seeings how its a race bike, cut that in half so they get done more often. Check the compression often and as long as you do those two things with no drop in compression you can get ALONG time out of it. Be sure to change/clean the air filter and change the oil ever couple races as well. If its a full race engine with decked heads, cams, ect.. I'd say atleast every season. Hope that helps.

Nick

5. Robert P

Well My R6 is built i raced it in 07 and im trying to decide if i have to have it gone through before 08 i didn't seem to get any slower at the end of the year. Looking at my estimate to get it rebuilt its more than it cost to get built in the first place so im thinking if i have to rebuild it why not just sell it and get a new one. and if the Valves need to be replaced thats another $1800 bucks at that ill for sure just sell it.
    Any more info guys would help. how do i do compression and lead down test. Where do i buy the tools at?

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

$1800 for a valve job?

7. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Titanium, ain't it great?

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

For $1800 I sure hope its worth more than 5 hp to be able to rev your motor up just a little bit more.

9. davetlr

davetlr Well-Known Member

what's the other option???

let it alone and have it fly apart

buy a used engine with unknown history

10. peakpowersports

Seeings how those have a plated cylinder, you should be able to just drop rings or piston & rings in them with a very light hone, or not even with a fresh hone (be carefull honing plated cylinders... you can mess it up. should be cheap to have someone do it) So there your probably looking around $600 bucks for gaskits, pistons, rings & hone. Then just check the valves, probably can get away just adjusting them, maybe pop them and put in new keepers & springs. For under a G you should be able to freshin it up pretty damn good.

Nick

11. davetlr

davetlr Well-Known Member

You will have more than $600.00 in valves alone

12. peakpowersports

But why replace the valves if they are not worn? Not sure how much valves cost on those bikes, but on CBR's all 16 valves can be had easily for 400 bucks, although that is just the valves, no guides, keepers, ect.

13. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

Discounts will vary, but new valves will run about $80 each x 16. After five AMA race weekends, the valves are worn out. At this point they can break and destroy an entire engine...take your pick.

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

14. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I was talking specifically about the Ti valves.

15. Tunersricebowl

Ti valves allow more aggressive cam profiles which boost power everywhere.
    They do rev higher but the valves are off the seats quicker and stay open longer and that adds midrange as well as top end.

16. TurboBlew

From where??
    I bought a couple of sets of ferreas...never more than $35/valve for stainless.

17. Robert P

The valves from a Yamaha dealer are just under $1800 Yes im sure i can get them at a discount.
    I guess i just want to know how many miles you guys are putting on your bikes before going through them?

18. TurboBlew

are the stock valves titanium?

19. Tunersricebowl

Indeed grasshopper, they are...