1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How fast is a Honda s90?

Discussion in 'General' started by VTRDarren, Feb 21, 2007.

1. VTRDarren

VTRDarren Well-Known Member

Sort of an oddball question, but I was wondering if anyone has owned a '64 (or similar) Honda s90? If so, what is the standard top speed of this little bugger. There is someone selling one locally and I was considering it as a goofy runabout, maybe pit ride. Thanks in advance ;)

2. sportbikepete

sportbikepete Well-Known Member

3. VTRDarren

lol, but it has potential! From the link you gave
    "The most amazing naturally aspirated 4-stroke engine was built in 1966.
    Honda RC116 (pictured above is a 1965 RC115 that is very similar to the RC116)
    49.77cc twin, 9 speed gearbox
    12:1 compression
    Horsepower 14@21,500rpm
    Weight 110lbs
    Top Speed 105mph
    281 HP per liter "

Maybe I'm better off buying new sneakers.

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

My first bike was a '65 S90, and the top speed was ~35MPH, with the giant trail sprocket on the rear. Without the trail sprocket, we thought that ~50 wouldn't be unreasonable. I believe it was a 64 tooth hunting/tractor sprocket. It would climb a tree, if you let it.

5. VTRDarren

And how much did you weigh at the time of your 1st bike ? ;-) (for reference, I'm 200lbs)

6. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I had a Trail 90 and I think it would do about 50-55. Sounded like it was going to blow up though.

7. Bob E.

Bob E. _________________________

8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I probably weighed about 135, maybe 145 tops. I was 15 years old. So, about 20 years, and (45) lbs ago.

Maybe this isn't a good bike for a typical American male?

9. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

first streetbike I was ever turned loose with, a white 1965 S-90. IIRC it would easily run + 60mph, but my eyes would be watering so bad it was difficult to ride at that speed (this was before suce niceties as helmets and face shields)

The bike belonged to my 'old maid' aunt, and was stored in her barn in near new condition, until '89 when hurricane Hugo leveled the barn.

10. VTRDarren

I'm pretty sure that's it. That is the "s" version and I haven't found a reference to the scooter looking "c" model in 1964. I'm waiting to get an address out of the person so I can go check it out, so it's unseen at this point. She just listed it as a '64 Honda 90 with 3,000 miles on it.

11. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

How fast do you need your bit bike to go, anyway?

12. VTRDarren

I'm just thinking about the roads around town, really. If it can't do around 50 then I'm thinking it might be more annoying than fun. I wasn't considering this as solely a pit bike, but more as an all around somewhat interesting, albeit slow, ride.

13. Hondian

Hondian New Member

The Honda Super 90 will go between 55 and 65 mph, based on your weight and the condition of the engine. You can also by after market engines to fit up to 120 cc's.