1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you stop Win10 auto-upgrade?

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Jul 1, 2016.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Son just had a new computer delivered. It has Win 7 with a Win 10 license.
    I heard they made some changes due to complaints, but would like to know exactly what needs to be done upon startup to keep it from updating or upgrading automatically.

What's the latest on this?

2. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Q: How do you stop Win10 auto-upgrade?
    A: Buy a Mac

You're welcome.

:D

TSAVO5150 and BHP41 like this.
  3. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

You want me to drive up and fix it?

joec likes this.
  4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Did you steal a buncha machinists hammers or something?

5. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

No no, I keep a BMFH in the truck. I was just gonna follow the instructions and fix it.

6. In Your Corner

Bring it, I have 30 of PBR in the little fridge.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

Don't plug it in

BHP41 likes this.
  8. 2001chromo

2001chromo Well-Known Member

Run GWX control panel and only change the ones you see from "yes" to "no"

http://bfy.tw/6YNY

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

ive got an old-ish PC i only use for tuning my R6. i was safe from the update for months. i guess i accidentally hit OK on a "update when plugged in" without noticing. it got me. once it started, i was unable to kill the process and didnt want to break the whole OS by turning the computer off.

i let it finish and all my software still works. so no big deal, other than a wasted hour. the user experience is much better than win8.

10. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

You can go back to the previous version in settings if you want. Or by a Mac :D

11. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

i def dont need to and prob wont. i was actually surprised by that fact, given my experience with 8. i think others might be as well.

i write iPhone software for a living and am typing this to u from my MBP. preaching to the choir. unfortunately, my tuning software doesnt run on Mac, my company wont let me dual boot, and VMs just dont work.

BHP41 likes this.
  12. If I'm running Windows 7 (dual boot) on my Mac I assume it's going to try and update at some point? I would love that not to happen since my tuning software works just the way I want and I only boot to Windows for that reason.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I downloaded it with an option to download now, upgrade later. Little bastage tried to go ahead and update, I clicked no when asked if I agreed to the terms and it went back to 7. Of course I may get the perpetual blue screen of death tomorrow for my misdeed.

Venom51 likes this.
  14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Just turn off automatic updates. Takes 2 seconds

15. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Never 10.

16. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Mine auto installed after i delayed it a few times. Once it does, it offers the ability to revert to Win 7 within one month of the 'upgrade'.

Also what system (32 or 64bit) and how much ram does it have? On one of our 32bit machines (capped at 4gb ram usable) win 10 is a death sentence.

17. cartmen34

cartmen34 Well-Known Member

What he said. There are few similar utilities out there that will also shut off win10 updates.

18. In Your Corner

64 bit, 16 gigs, upgradeable to 64.

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Haven't you heard? There's a boycot on for all Apple sh*t.....;)

20. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

How do I go back?