1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you steer?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ra.Ge. Raptor, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Doing my usual digging through the forum, I came upon a post where someone had a talk with Pridemore about riding where he was clearly stating that he does not countersteer.

That's exactly what Ken Hill teaches. And that's exactly what Troy Corser teaches at his BMW backed euro school tour,too. In fact, Troy was describing how he was forced to countersteer while he was giving a ride to someone on the track because he could not freely move his body on the bike.

I tried to apply this "concept " at my last td but I was forced to at least initiate the turning by countersteering.

What's your take on this?

2. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

50 pages, minimum

rcarson15, cajun636, j cal and 3 others like this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

j cal and Yzasserina like this.
  4. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Chaotic just went and bought a fresh keyboard for his reply. Come back in a few hours for the first in a series of 3 books.

sbk1198, zjay, sdiver and 23 others like this.
  5. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Seriously?? Everybody on two wheels countersteers for crying out loud. It's what you learn, without being aware of it, when you're a kid and are finally able to keep upright on your bicycle. I don't get why this is something people think that some people do and others don't. If you ride a bicycle or a motorcycle, you countersteer.

6. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Sooooooooo...do Corser and Ken Hill et al not understand the actual nature of the physics of what is happening/what they are doing? Or what?

7. After I hook my feet into my foot anchors I just press down on the foot peg and pull up on the opposite side anchor. Instant steering.

TurboBlew, gixxerboy55, TLR67 and 6 others like this.
  8. condon66

The reason they "teach" it is because they want you to be aware of it. People don't realize they are doing it because they've done it since they were a kid and another reason they teach it is because when you tip a bike into a turn at 120 mph it requires a forceful countersteer to get the bike to fall into the turn. It needs to be done very quickly sometimes, and at high speed there is a lot of rotational force up front and that requires a more aggressive act on the clip-ons.

9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Keith Code, I think, went over this in one of his books by fixing the front end of a motorcycle so it didn't move. So the answer is thetans.

SethG, skee, SuddenBraking and 5 others like this.
  10. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

in on P1....

12. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Code's "no bs bike" demonstration does not resemble what's really happening because the rider does not move his mass to the desired direction but only sits on top of the bike

Yardape likes this.
  13. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Not true.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So what you're saying is that if you've already gone clear then you can't steer?!?!

I'm gonna find Tom Cruise and kick him in the nuts for this!!!

ajcjr likes this.
  15. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

I think hes graduated to the Dragon program where he talks and it puts his speech on a word file. I think the challenge here is finding enough terabytes for his upcoming seminar.

16. condon66

You obviously didn't read the entire writing.

Here's something I want you to do. Get on a bicycle or a motorcycle very soon, right now if you can. Get yourself moving along to a pace where the bike is keeping itself upright on its own. Now, I would like you to turn to the right by ONLY PULLING BACK ON THE RIGHT BAR! Even just use your index finger on the FRONT of the throttle and PULL BACK! This will be you in fact turning the bars TO THE RIGHT, which is the direction I want you to make the bike go. Now, once you've done this, come back here and tell us what direction your bicycle or motorcycle headed when you PULLED BACK on your RIGHT BAR.

bacolmm likes this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

18. condon66

Holy fuck! That is funny as shit! :crackup:

BigBird and JustaNobody like this.
  19. Ra.Ge. Raptor

YOU'RE LIKE THE COOLEST GUY IN HERE, YOU JUST SAVED MY LIFE!
    THANK YOU!!!1!!1!

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

With my dick!