1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you get started in racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by bdomenz, Jul 11, 2000.

1. bdomenz

bdomenz Well-Known Member

i recently completed level 3 california superbike school (plan on attending more).

now i'd like to get into amateur racing -- but have had trouble finding info on how to get started, what you need to buy, etc. etc.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-bdomenz in chicago

2. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Check out the Newbie Motorcycle Roadracing FAQ...
    http://www.io.com/~duke/newrrfaq.htm

- Roach

3. wera122

wera122 Guest

Make sure you buy high quality protective gear. Your helmet, boots, gloves, leathers and back protector will literally save your ass when you crash. Don't skimp in that department as you'll pay for it later.

The newbie FAQ should give you most of the answers. Check it out and let us know if you have any questions or need any help.

As you'll see from reading the BBS, most guys will tell you to start out on a LW (lightweight) bike like a 2-smoker (125/250) or an FZR400, Hawk 650, etc. Learn how to ride a smaller bike fast and it will help you move up to a bigger bike when you're ready.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

4. joey-95v

joey-95v Registered

there are a bunch of "race shops" in the area that can give you advice. what part of chicago are you from? there is mcc in villa park, it's a ducati shop and everyone that works is involed in racing in some form. there is valley racing in south holland, they are buell racers and very helpfull, and then theres 4+6 downtown, they all stayed at my house when i was living in daytona and are pretty cool.
    and like wera122 said "don't skimp" on the saftey gear.

#545 Keith Palmer

... also, read the thread at this BB started by "tippy434" on 5/3/00 and titled "what about insurance???"

6. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

Amen to starting out on the LW bike! If you have been ready the other threads about out-of-control PN (orange shirts) you may have noticed that they are mostly on 600s or 750s. Besides being less expensive (still not cheap!) they are much more forgiving when you make the inevitable error in judgement! Not only do I need tires less frequently on my FZR then my buddies do on their 600s and 750s, but they cost less too! Despite the misconception, the LW bike will go plenty fast enough to scare ya!

Good Luck!

7. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

If your married, perpare for the impending divorce..... [​IMG]

(when the wife sees all that money fly out the window on an "adolescent stupidity" - as my ex-girlfriend called it)

8. wera122

wera122 Guest

Don't forget the classic "Either the bike goes or I go" line. Needless to say I'm still racing.

You would think the garage walls covered in motorcycle posters, motorcycle phone, motorcycle pictures and all the motorcycle t-shirts would have been the first clue.

Maybe we aren't the dumber gender after all! [​IMG]

9. slow rider

slow rider Well-Known Member

Don't forget to always bring your checkbook and extra credit cards. You will drain the book and max the cards. You can try to catch up and pay bills during the winter.
    WELCOME TO RACING!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember when I asked how to get into racing and everyone told me that I would spend a lot of money and I didn't believe them either...just take what you think you may need to spend then double it and you will be close [​IMG]

11. bdomenz

what do you think of trying the penguin school for a "test" weekend. theyll rent bike and leathers, and get the ccs liscense, annd try racing all in the same weekend.

of course then, i'd have to buy a plane ticket to the east coast.

would this be a good way to learn what to buy, what not to buy?

12. bdomenz

by the way, i'm in chicago just north of the park (lincoln).

i'll be visiting those shops this weekend. thanks for the names.

13. bdomenz

start out on a LW (lightweight) bike like a 2-smoker (125/250) or an FZR400, Hawk 650, etc.

any recommendations on specific 250's (year and make), or year for FZR400's?

14. wera122

wera122 Guest

Penguin School is a good place to start. Talk to Eric, Jeff, or Jerry Wood and they'll tell you everything you need to know.

I attended several schools before finally applying for my racing license. Take your time learning the bike and lines and you'll get up to speed quicker.

I would recommend buying a bike that's already race prepped. That will save you lots of time and money getting ready. If you take the Penguin School, check out all the wiring that has to be done on the bike.

As for buying a bike, check the WERA classifieds, Roadracing World and other mags. Don't go buy a fire-breathing superbike either, find one that's stock or as close to stock as possible. Most bikes listed as "production" legal have the fewest modifications.

15. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

You really don't want to try starting out on a full-blown 250gp bike. 225lbs of bike with 80+hp at the rear wheel that comes on like a lightswitch is much like strapping a rocket to your posterior [​IMG] Also, cost of purchase, amount of work and cost of upkeep are generally daunting to the new racer - you really want a bike you can just ride and learn how to race.

A 125gp bike is better in terms of cost, but you're still gonna need help getting it jetted right, and have to inspect the rings, pistons, etc every week. If you're somewhat familiar with 2-stroke engines, the 125gp arena prob offers THE best learning experience, as you have to learn how to corner like a madman... no relying on torque and HP to pull you out of corners on these babies! Costs can still be an issue, however. As an example, replacing the outer clutch boss on my TZ125 just cost me $450!! Ouch.

As for FZRs... they're all the same. 88-90, only difference being minor differences in the front end on the '90 models. They make *excellent* first bikes, and you may not switch to something else for some time after racing one.

The best balance of cost and learning is a a good, race-ready 4-stroke LW bike. An FZR400 or EX500 is probably the best bang for the buck as you can get one for well under $3k ready to go, with spares. Change the oil every week and you're pretty much set.

Amen to this. I started on a 70hp FZR400... that's a STEEP learning curve. When bikes get worked to produce more HP, they also become harder to ride and are less forgiving of mistakes.

- Brian Roach

16. WERA

WERA Administrator

Swing by 4 & 6, they're pretty close to you. Last known location was over on Montrose somewhere but I know they are in the city pretty close to Lincoln and Western (the boss lady's old stomping grounds).

17. joey-95v

joey-95v Registered

oh so close sean...

kedzie ave. 3110 kedzie. phone # 773.539.4600

bdomenz,
    if you want to try stuff on there is chicago performance on north ave in northlake. they stock tons of helmets, aria and shoei and have a good collection of leathers by tekniks and dainese.

18. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

Joey, got a phone number, or even better: an email address?? I'm looking for a new Arai Signet GT - Gryphon (3) (1999 model) in a medium.

It's the damnest thing, Shoeis don't fit (I used to wear one for 8 years), Arai Quantums don't fit, but the Signets do.

Go Figure.

19. wera122

wera122 Guest

Call Sierra Electronics in Troy Ohio. They sell TONS of Arai (that's right Arai, not Aria [​IMG] ) helmets. They can usually beat most places by $100 a lid or more.

I don't know their number off hand, but look them up on the web. I believe it's Sierra-mc.com Ask for Wayne.

20. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

If you are in Chicago you are very near a "neat" track and the same school I first went to. The track is Blackhawk (I didn't say good track just a neat track) and the school is Learning Curves Roadrace school (LCR). The teachers are Rick Bruer and Scott "Z man" Zampach. Rick has a ton of racing experience and Scott has raced both national and regional for most of his life. I had a blast, learned a ton, and was relative cheap. You can take your street bike tape it up and use it for the school if you like and if you pass you can obtain your CCS license. Hell, as close as you are you could probably ride to the track then just tape it up. However, I would not recommend this because you may crash and ruin your bike and have no way home. LCR does rent leathers for the day and Rick and Scott can teach you a lot of stuff. They also offer more experienced riders classes to learn more as you improve your skills. I think it cost 125.00 for the day and I hate to say it on the WERA BBS, but I did get more track time with LCR than with the WERA licensing school. It is just an option for you to consider. I would also agree with Roach on the fact that you should look for a 4 stroke bike versus a 2 smoker. 4 strokes require less tuning and they are cheaper to buy. For example I saw a 400 for 2200.00 with spares the other day. I myself, started and I am still using a 90 FZR 400. Good luck!

Doug