1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can the DOJ and FBI continue to ignore Congress request to hand over documents

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by G 97, Jun 14, 2018.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

How is this possible for a government department to simply ignore a request. Who works for who?
    Who created these intities in the first place. So a government agency can just operate on its own with no over sight from the elected officials. Does this concern anyone?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All depends, how much power does Congress have to get those docs.

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Don’t they have all the power?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. Pesky constitution :D

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

Other than being under/a part of the executive branch what specific protections are afforded to it under the constitution. Do the same Constitutional rights/protections etc given to the President get extended to the DOJ as well?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hell if I know, go read up on the laws. :crackup:

DOJ is judicial branch, congress is legislative, they have oversight but not control of each other.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay, still a different branch no matter which it is, that limits the direct control congress has.

G 97 likes this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

DOJ is under Executive Branch.

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

So I guess I don’t understand how a created government agency can have no oversight from the people thru the elected officials including the POTUS. Who are they ultimately responsible too? l guess they’re not.
    Does this alarm anyone or why should I care?

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Why would I bother to research it myself when I know someone here already knows how it all works etc. :D

K51000 likes this.
  11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I would imagine there is also the "party" cooperation lines and how detailed the request(s) for documents are.

Whose writing the checks and who checks the balances? (or is it balancing the checks and writing the balances?):D

tiggen likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My answer is still the same as it was the first time you posted this :D

G 97 likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Personally I don't think every single member of congress should have the power to control any of the agencies. That's not their job.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

My IPad went goofy. :mad:

15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

It all comes down to how hard they want to play. They could de-fund them or threaten to. But the reality is that the Republican committees want the show more than the result currently.

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Now seeing it as a separations of power and three pillars of Goverment issue, I agree. But What about the POTUS?
    Can’t he simply tell the DOJ to make their records of investigations available for review.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yet again, I do not know, go look it up ya lazy bastid :crackup:

G 97 likes this.
  18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Yes but if they fail to comply he has to start firing people

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

At some point, people have to be held accountable and nobody wants to take actual enforcement action against the DOJ.
    So far it's just been threats. Trump really needs to declassify all those documents and order them released.

20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

So are these documents in regards to an ongoing investigation? If so those generally are not released to anyone except the executive branch. If a part of the executive branch is being investigated, then I would think it would be obvious why you would not release the records to that part of the executive branch.

Pick a scandal from the past involving a currently sitting president. Think about releasing the documents from that investigation to the White House while the investigation is still under way. That path leads to people destroying evidence and getting their cover stories straight.