1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How about a fresh thread for Kramers?

Discussion in 'General' started by xxaarraa, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed, but listing what isn't MA legal in twins is just goofy to me :D

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm sitting at Willow Springs right now, we do left coast :D

SoCal1000 and MachineR1 like this.
  3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

The draw is irresistible... :D

4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

I just get a stack of them from the bar and they seem to last a great while and no drink rings on the coffee table.

5. xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

OK, sharing some information here for future passers by.

• 2019 Kramers come standard with engine map switch (used to be an option in earlier model year bikes)
    • 2019 Kramer 'S' models use a KTM 950 rear axle that is hollow on both sides. Pitbull TRS pin part number: F0075BX-001 (Earlier model year bikes used a different axle)
    • Front axle is not hollow on both sides and front axle sliders are a proprietary Kramer part
    • Frame sliders are a proprietary Kramer part
    • Engine case covers are the same as any LC4. R&G part number: P318142
    • Woodcraft lever guards work. Sort of. The clipons internal diameter is just a hair too big for the woodcraft bar inserts. With a bit of sheet metal to take up the slack, they work.
    • Stomp grip universal tank pads work.
    • Oil filters are the same as any LC4. HiFlo part numbers: HF-155 and HF-651
    • Pitbull front head lift stand pin is the same as a KTM RC8. Pitbull part number: F0001-018 (Pin # 18)
    • IRC downshift auto-blipper for a KTM Duke 690 is a TBD. I will post an update on this once I try it out.
    • No options known for a quick turn throttle yet (fly by wire).

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

[​IMG]

Cannoli likes this.
  7. xxaarraa

Posting an update on the IRC downshift auto-blipper. Part # IRC-BLIPPER-KTM-DUKE-690 sourced from Moto-D is a 100% plug-n-play. Plugs into both ignition coils, APS sensor and gear sensor and works out of the box. I had to fine tune the kill times and sensor preload to get it the way I want it, but it's a solid upgrade to the bike.

FYI on shifting - Upshifts at high RPMs (9k) seem to throw false neutrals every once in a while, however a bit of online research reveals that it's an LC4 'feature' Speaking with Kramer, switching to GP shift may help minimize that.

8. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

I had an opportunity to ride a Kramer for one session at a Mid Ohio track day. The bike is amazing. I'd like to own one some day.

The new Twin looks bad ass!

9. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Hey,Kevin I'm the guy who was with Ray Opie a couple years ago when he bought his Pani R,I bought a 2019Evo2R in July,planning on mid ohio and Nelson next yr,so if I see you at either ,you're more than welcome to ride it.Just PM me if you're going on a particular weekend,Cheers,Tom, BTW the 890 twin is 32500.

KMC likes this.
  10. cota.kitty

cota.kitty Member

I haven't had the chatter issues that many riders have complained about, but I'm also a bigger guy (220 lbs / 6'2"). I definitely think keeping heat in the front tire is the name of the game with Kramers, and that the base geometry can make that difficult to do.

I've run both (bought and "S" but it's basically "R" spec now), and didn't notice too much difference. The 180 has more mass to it, but the Kramer is so quick side-to-side that it's really a non-issue. I like having the bigger footprint on the 180/55, but you are limited to the SC2 compound on Pirellis (which you should be running, don't waste time trying to make a different tire work).

I heard there will be a run of SC1 180/55 tires done this year for Kramer riders, which is great. I'm thinking of getting the kit to run the 180/60 tire (which is basically a 190/55), which is the current World Supersport spec tire. The 180/55 is being phased out, whereas the 180/60 is constantly being developed and has all the compound options (SC0-Sc3).

Loctite everything, that single rattles bolts out like no other. Fuel filter on the fuel pump is a weak link, and should be replaced every season. Spark plugs seem to foul easily too, and I'm replacing every season on those as well. The dash can have some issues showing RPM, especially if you miss a shift, but it resets eventually. That 690 motor is pretty solid though. These are definitely robust bikes.
    I haven't seen anyone make rearsets for the Kramers, and wouldn't expect them too. Don't really see the need either. The current design is really good - three height positions, super robust, and cheap to replace.

Kramer USA has some performance parts available. 85hp is achievable without too much work, and you can mix for MR12 or U4.4 with a Power Commander (the ECU is from the 690 Enduro, by the way). Kramer has been testing an up/down quickshifter option. I rode it and was very happy with it.

11. cota.kitty

cota.kitty Member

That's interesting you say that, though I don't have any experience with the first model year (I have a 2018). I think if you asked most Kramer owners, they'd say the bikes crash extremely well.

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Well, my observations ARE from Loudon so... consider the track as part of the problem? :D

13. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Hi! Sorry for delayed reply. I just saw this today.

Congrats on your purchase! How do you like the bike? What tracks have you had an opportunity to ride with it?

I'll def keep you posted with what days I'll be coaching at Mid O. Send me an email so I can save your contact info

[email protected]

Cheers.

14. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Hoping not to find out about the crash worthiness:crackup:

15. xxaarraa

Sharing more updates to part numbers below.
    • 2019 Kramer 'S' models use a KTM 950 rear axle that is hollow on both sides. Pitbull TRS pin part number: F0075BX-001 (Earlier model year bikes used a different axle)
    • Pitbull front head lift stand pin is the same as a KTM RC8. Pitbull part number: F0001-018 (Pin # 18)
    • Front axle is not hollow on both sides and front axle sliders are same as KTM RC8. R&G part # P274016.
    • Air filter is a KTM RC8. KTM Part # 69006015100
    • Engine case covers are the same as any LC4. R&G part number: P318142
    • Oil filters are the same as any LC4. HiFlo part numbers: HF-155 and HF-651
    • Brake pads are for Brembo M50. Galfer FD373
    • Brake rotor is from any KTM Super Duke 1290. Galfer DF843CWI. This is the single 320mm disc for 'S' model. 'R' models use dual 290s, not sure what part number they are.
    • Rear sprocket is KTM 690 Duke. JT Sprockets Part number JTA897.40
    • Chain is an ultralight EK Motor Sports part number EK 520 SM 3D. Yes, it's a super motard chain.
    • IRC downshift auto-blipper for a KTM Duke 690 is a direct bolt-on. Adjust upshift kill times to 80-85 ms and sensor pre-load on up and down to 14.
    • Options for lighter wheels: Dymag is the OE supplier and Kramer USA will sell you the wheels in either forged aluminum or carbon. Front wheel is direct KTM 1290 Super Duke. Rear wheel is KTM 690 Duke with KTM 950 axle and proprietary spacers. I have seen one racer use Rotobox wheels, but do not know if that was a one-off/custom fit or if Rotobox offers them for sale.
    • Woodcraft lever guards work. Sort of. The clipons internal diameter is just a hair too big for the woodcraft bar inserts. With a bit of sheet metal to take up the slack, they work.
    • Stomp grip universal tank pads work.

• Frame sliders are a proprietary Kramer part
    • Bodywork and windshield are proprietary Kramer.
    • Tank sliders are proprietary Kramer.
    • Rearsets are proprietary Kramer

• Still no options known for a quick turn throttle yet (fly by wire).

The bike is awesome! I am significantly faster on it than my times on an S1000RR or Daytona 675R on the same track (2.7 mile circuit) on same day.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Newyork and tl1098 like this.
  16. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

you run it at MSRC yet? if so what kinda pace is it moving around the 1.7

17. xxaarraa

I have not run MSRC with it yet. I ran high 2:13s at the new ECR 2.7.

18. cota.kitty

cota.kitty Member

I think you're talking about me. The front Rotobox bolts right up (as should any aftermarket wheel, it's an SDR 1290 wheel). The rear wheel was a 690 from Rotobox, and I made a spacer for the brake side of the wheel. Other rear wheels will probably need the same amount of work, but it's not too bad.

19. xxaarraa

Yes sir, Joe at Kramer told me that you had to do that. I didn't know it was you specifically, nice to make your acquaintance. Sent you a PM to chat more.

20. cota.kitty

cota.kitty Member

One thing worth mentioning to any prospective Kramer owners is the amazing support that Joe from Kramer Motorcycles USA provides. His operation is tiny compared to other brands, but he stocks parts, is super accessible, and really knows his product (and bikes in general). He eclipses motorcycle manufacturers that are much larger than his shop, which makes the support-side of owning a Kramer a piece of cake. For example, right now he's at Laguna Seca of the AHRMA round, supporting a pretty sizable grid of HKR race bikes.