1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Housing by McGuire Air Force Base

Discussion in 'General' started by evakat, May 28, 2019.

1. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

My daughter is being stationed at McGuire AFB (New Jersey) in June...
    She is looking for a house to purchase.
    Looking for someone local that knows the areas to look at or stay clear of.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Ah hem.....NJ o_O. ..... Sorry, couldn't resist. Everything in the garden state is way expensive for anything nice. Hopefully as a service member she doesn't have to pay NJ taxes.

R Acree likes this.
  3. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

PM being sent.

4. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

:eek:

Hope it works out ok. The people in that area are not very nice...she will be surrounded by Dix :D

5. Still have to pay property tax to New Jersey if you buy a house. It is approximately double the national average rate.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Unless I missed something - why buy? Unless she somehow knows she'll be stationed there 10-20 years or more.

7. Once upon a time, a house was considered an investment. This is no longer true, but some people still believe the myth.

StaccatoFan and Rico888 like this.
  8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Funny, house I sold in 2005 I sold for $195k more than I paid, house I sold last year I sold for$42k more than I paid, so your generalization seems to be well a generalization.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I still totally think it is - however if you're in the military and you can be stationed elsewhere at their whim I'm not sure it's a good investment.

Then again maybe she's looking to start accumulating rental property at every base she's posted to, that could be a good move really :D

10. Real estate can be an investment. A house? Last decade‘s bubble exploded that myth.

11. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

House next to me was purchased for $370K and then sold 11 months later for $439k with minimal improvements. IMO, that's a good investment!

12. As long as we are using anecdotes instead of data :) ... in a completely different market, I lost approx 50k US when I sold my house, after 10 years of ownership. A bunch of my neighbors were (and are still) much worse off.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bullshit. Like anything else, do not buy when the bubble is about to pop and then whine about it. Our house is up 75% or more since we bought it in 2000.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seems like you bought badly or sold badly. Doesn't change housing as an investment working out great for the majority of the people.

15. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

So he's wrong because he doesn't have enough data, but you're right because of your "1" data point. Seems legit.

16. no

17. It was neither a bad buy, nor a bad sell. It was a necessity in both instances,

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A necessity? So bad planning.