1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

honeymoon/1st vacation recommandations

Discussion in 'General' started by Olympus Racing, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Olympus Racing

Olympus Racing Well-Known Member

Ok so i am not very good at this vacation thing since I havent really been on one in like 8 years.
    I want to surprise the wife and go somewhere nice. she loves the beach (she does not swim).
    She loves Florida when we visit. I know shes dying to go to Hawaii or Aruba, I just dont know if I can swing that right now.
    We are both off the 12th to 22nd. But we are more realistic talking about 4-7 days probably 14-19th especially the price goes up.
    the simple solution would be to go to Greece but last minute tickets during the peak of the tourism season are just stupid expensive, plus its not even worth it for a week, plus we are going next year.
    My problem is that I don't know where to go and what to do so it is hard to point a destination. For example I know people say Vegas is fun, but what hotel, or when to go? does this season suck? is it not worth it for 4-5 days?
    based on things I know she d like here is what I am thinking.

a) All-inclusive Adults only resort in Bahamas. 4 or 5 nights I can swing for about $1000 per person with airfare included. No idea about the area or things to do. Bahamas looks kinda lame comparing to DR based on the activities available I see.

b) All-inclusive Adults only resort in DR. This is so far my personal favorite as I know DR is beautiful, i do have some connections there and I believe she would love it. This will be a bit more than $1000, around $1200 per person for a good resort with flights included. I also know that it is vacation season now in DR so I am not sure if that means its overcrowded and lines everywhere etc.

c) Various Vegas packages. Example Caesar's Palace or the Venetian for $500-600 per person with airfare. Not sure if Vegas would do anything for me honestly. I dont like clubbing and she doesnt like gambling.

d) All-inclusive Adults only resort in Cancun, Mexico. Prices $1000-1500 for 5 nights with airfare depending on the resort. This is also high on the list as I have heard great things about Cancun but really i dont know much.

e) suggest something that I am totally missing.

Beach/Pool, relaxation, all inclusive with good food would be great but not a deal-breaker, recreational activities like jet-skiing or boat rides or some romantic stuff would be awesome. keep in mind we never went on a honeymoon so this is kinda it. I'd open to a cruise package too but i dont know anything about those too. I think if I suggest the Isle of Man she may stab me.

Thanks

2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I went to a sandals resort in Jamaica for my honeymoon. I would highly recommend it, but I don't think it'll fall into your price range if you're looking between $1k to 2k.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Look at cruises. Good way to see the islands in the Caribbean without being stuck on just one if you don't like it. Get a balcony room.

Phl218 and dtalbott like this.
  4. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I'll second Jamaica. Wife and I went with friends for around $1300 ea and had a great time. You can trust the food/water and there's no real language barrier. If we were to go back to a resort it would be there because of the above. We ventured off the resort to a tourist area and were strongly urged to not leave there. The locals are very nice, take them some cheap hats and t shirts and you'll be a damn king. We got to know the a few people working on the resort and learned a lot about the island while having a blast.

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

We did Aruba for our honeymoon. We loved it. Some people don't.

I've had better luck using a travel agent. The cost was usually a bit less, they did all the work, and they still made money. Win/win

We stayed at the Riu. It was really nice, and I'm pretty sure they have an adults only section. Lots of Euro peeps, and the whole island is topless.

Gonna do my best to get my family back there between Xmas and New Years with AmEx points!

6. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

We had a damn good time in the Dominican. We looked around through a travel agent and ended up just booking ourselves and saved a good chunk of money. That was 4 ish years ago, once my liver recovers from that trip we will go back for round 2

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

All those places sound better than Vegas.

Newsshooter likes this.
  8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

You haven't been to vegas with the right people then.
    :D

Metalhead likes this.
  9. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Stupid question: do they offer fishing on a cruise, or would that fall under the island excursions?

10. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Costa Rica > Jamaica

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

LOL. Probably just tired of it. I had to go around 10 times a year for a long time doing trade shows. Vacation to the Caribbean sounds much more fun to me.

12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Excursions, hard to fish from 30-40' above the water at speed.

dtalbott likes this.
  14. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Thanks.

15. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Would make for a helluva dead line...

16. HondaSuperHawk

HondaSuperHawk Well-Known Member

Just beware of planning somewhere in the Caribbean.....storms and hurricanes can ruin plans.

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Send her wherever she wants to go. Enjoy your vacation. :D

hotnail and auminer like this.
  18. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

I did Aruba a few years back and it was really cheap compared to other Caribbean vacations. Playa del Carmen is awesome and can be pretty cheap if Mexico is an option.

19. I'll prove that theory wrong one day :)

Phl218 likes this.
  20. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Where are you leaving from? Could make a big difference on overall cost. The wife and I did an impromptu trip to the Sandals Royal Bahamian in the Bahamas a couple months ago. I would definitely go back. We live in Florida though so it's an easy trip for us.