1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda to kill the CBR600RR?

Discussion in 'General' started by Chip, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Could Chuck Norris?

2. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

My favorite bike to this day is my 05 ZX-10R and that is about as raw as it gets... I got it for 4000 put a full exhaust, race tech front and rear, upgraded master with 06 ZX-10 calipers and a dyno tune... spent maybe 7000 total .... I would take that bike any day over the new shit that is coming out. That thing made my heart flutter with excitement.

3. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I wish they would do anything with the electronics and just make it light, fast, and cheap that's all the Avg. Joe wants.

4. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Just recently sold one of my sportbikes and picked up a Versys. Shocked at how much I like that thing.

turbulence, XFBO and BigBird like this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

It's a Kawi...over course it's good :D

Seriously though, when I got my Ninja 650 on the road, I was like this is WAY easier to ride on the streets, and a lot less tiring than a sportbike.

6. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I don't understand why sportbikes don't come as a "base model", and then have options through a dealer catalog.

Put damping rod forks stock, NO tc, abs, trick ecu, lightweight wheels, titanium stock exhaust, expensive shock etc should come stock. Other than engine and frame, the stock components should be cheap.

Racers replace the stuff anyway, and street riders will drool at the upgrade catalogs which are in turn profitable for the dealer.

turbulence and BigBird like this.
  7. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

My guess is overhead? Easier to have labor build 10000 of the same thing, instead of 2000 of 5 different configs. Plus, then comes to the dealer stocking them.

8. Dragginass

That's my point though. The honda factory should only make the "base model". All upgrades are through catalog options/parts/accessories which are very profitable for dealers.

9. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Would the R&D be worth it then? Odds are street guys aint gonna buy it, and track guys are gonna buy a bazaaz or PC3 instead of a Honda unit.

10. Dragginass

It's worth it for all of the aftermarket manufacturers, can't see why it wouldn't be for an OEM. HRC already makes trick race parts, just need to make them more mainstream and affordable via volume.

11. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Porsche thinks so

12. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Get off my lawn, much?

Most mfrs already make these cheap bikes you're talking about. You don't want them either. Go buy a cbr500.

metricdevilmoto and Skter505 like this.
  13. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

If the factories want to sell more sport bikes. All they have to do is give away an ICON helmet with skulls and a mohawk.

14. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

One variable on the sale of new sportbikes I see quite often is the cost of insurance for young riders. Insurance has gone up a bunch because of the costs to repair a bike. I have had 6 come in for insurance quotes in 10 days. 6 are totaled. Most have no structural damage but the cost of replacing fairings and brackets is ridiculous. If the OEMS would lower the cost of replacement parts the insurance rates would go down and people would buy new bikes. Case in point... A fuel tank for a CBR650 is half the price of a fuel tank for an R1. Theres no less material, paint or anything else... I have young riders in here all the time who have the money for a new bike but cant afford the insane insurance costs so they go buy a used/older bike instead. I have seen quotes for 20 somethings and the insurance is more per month than the bike payment.

Dragginass and BigBird like this.
  15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

^that
    I was looking at a left over 675R. The quote I got was almost $1500/yr; as an old guy, licenced since 92, with a current policy covering 2 bikes.

16. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Damn... We pay $35 a month for full coverage on an 09 GSXR750. I think I pay $250 a year for the $25,000 replacement policy on my kids race bike.

17. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Ducati seems to be the only manufacturer doing it with any success.
    Formula:
    1. Fcuk the classes - build what will sell (899, 959, 1200, etc)
    2. Take your flagship model (Panigale 1200s) and dumb it down just enough to make a "middleweight" model (899/959). Reap benefits of R&D on the big model, reduce costs through cheaper components and fewer gizmos.

Suzayamahondakaw could learn from that model. Take your proven full-tilt 1000s, and just replace the fancy engine with a 650-750ish engine. Down-spec a few of the components, and sell it for 3k less. There's really no reason a middleweight has to be built on an entirely different platform (remember racers aren't the market here).

Gorilla George and Dragginass like this.
  18. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Yamaha is somewhat doing it with the R1 also.

They have the R1S with cheaper wheels and engine internals and some other bits.
    The regular R1
    and the R1M.

Dragginass likes this.
  19. Chip

Chip Registered

In my opinion they didn't go far enough in downgrading the components or the price....

20. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Not what we are talking about. Basically re-release the freaking F4i. It has better brakes,suspension, power and weight compared to the current cbr650 and should be as much or cheaper since they already know how to build em. The 500 is a twin cylinder pansy. We want power, handling and braking without all the latest big money stuff. Like showa vs ohlins.

Dragginass likes this.