1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda to kill the CBR600RR?

Discussion in 'General' started by Chip, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Chip

Chip Registered

It'll be awesome....make 115hp and cost $25K and nobody will buy it.

2. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

I
    If that were the case, you'd know that "real Hondas" start with an "RC" designation.....:D

turbulence likes this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Something like this...in 600 AND 1000. :beer:

[​IMG]

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

^^^ Can you imagine how much that would cost? When the NSF first came out I think it was 28K.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Every time one of the whizbang modogeepee crawzplane crankasaurus bikes comes out the magazines play it up as the best thing ever. Then someone comes on here and asks what does this button do? The R1 has come closest to delivering the hype. Except when it's being left in the dust by outdated old clapped out models.

daveknievel likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yeah, Rob, but neither the frame nor engine can be sourced from an existing inventory of full production models.
    Just grab a CBR frame, throw a CBR engine into it. Kit it, cover it, sell it.

7. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

I would be completely okay with this.

Although I think 1000cc streetbikes are here to stay. Squids will keep that market alive and well because you're not a real man unless you ride a 1000. Then they will keep crashing them and purchasing replacements.

BigBird likes this.
  8. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

What if all that advanced crap was $100?

OEM's aren't stupid, they want their margins back. It doesn't help to cut the profit by 80% and then sell twice as many bikes. If I can sell 20,000 bikes at a 2K profit each, the last thing I want to do is take a bunch of bright advice from MCN, cut my profit to $500 each and "prove MCN right" by selling 5,000 more bikes.

Maximize revenue by discarding all the profits.

9. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

No it's not the beginning of the end for the Sportbike, rather development of only 1 true supersport base model per brand and various optional levels for that model. Increasingly the options will be controlled by electronics which are unlocked by the options or build level you purchase from the dealer.

See Tesla.

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

In theory, yes. The reality with Honda anyway is that they get paid and book their profit when the dealer takes delivery of their order. It's now up to the dealer to retail the bike accordingly. In a perfect world for Honda, they would love for a dealer to sell twice as many units at half the profit margin. Hondas objective is to load up their dealers as much as they can with product thus creating pressure on the dealer to retail them aggressively. Stack em deep. Sell em cheap is a phrase said all the time in Torrance.

11. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Honda always knows what they are doing.
    Best Motorsports company on the planet. Always has been, always will be.

bored&stroked likes this.
  12. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

You put that up as if you are claiming they are unique in that aspect.

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

Not really. Take it as you like.

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I bought a brand new Honda once....17 years ago. Back in 98. That was the last time they made anything I would consider buying off the showroom floor.

15. Torn7th

Torn7th Well-Known Member

Im not an expert by any means but, MARKETING drives the battles. I worked part time at a local dealership in sales and cant tell you how many times ive tried to talk Joe Soldier out of a 1000 to no avail. Watched 3 of them dump brand new bikes out the parking lot.

The 600 class used to be the great street bike perfect for anything,but then along the 1000's came and everyone's dick got bigger. Its the status companies sell. OHH AHH look a this it does this and if you dont have it well your gonna lose etc. I miss my FZR600 great bike plenty of power for the street and great to ride forgiving.

The 1000 class has taken over as far as sales go cause the new buyers have no idea what they are buying they just know 1000. Its sad cause the 600 class is such a great class of bikes. Perfect balance of everything for the street. In my opinion the best overall street bike PERIOD is the GSXR 750 bar none. Its the perfect blend. 600 chassis with a few extra ponies. I own a R1 yes flame me now I got a great deal and love the sound lol. However I was looking for an R6 or GSXR 600 and came across it at a great price.

Id love to have an old CBR 600 F2 or F3 great bikes fun to ride. Sad thing is companies are pushing the 1000's for several reasons. # 1 they have to sell them to race them. # 2 Look at this ooohh ahh ,Traction control,launch control,pretty dash etc.. # 3 All the uninitiated have no clue but want the 1000 to be in the big boy club and bragging rights. None of us will ever use a 1000 70% of its capability on the street.

Its just sad that the 600 class may eventually go away. What baffles me is the GSXR 750 is one of the best selling bikes to this day yet, only Suzuki makes them. Im still wondering why

16. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Truth hurts Chip. Crying on the inside.

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This man knows wtf he is talking about. And club guys on 750's still give fits to the whiz bang modogeepee crawsplane liters bikes occasionally. But if Yamaha ever makes me an R7 or heaven forbid an R8 I'll abandon ship. Got a serious love affair with the R7. Most beautiful bike Yamaha ever built. Dunno why they abandoned that styling.

If Motogp's 800cc experiment had worked it could have trended to Superbikes, maybe. The technology is here to make a 750cc-800cc bike with as much and more hp than the current 1000cc bikes. But as said before it's a marketing thing. And the dick measuring crowd has settled on "liter bike" and "one thousand" as the only thing to have. Kinda sad really.

Imo the most beautiful and usable sportbike out right now is MV's F3 800cc. Makes the F4 look fat. Too bad it's an Mv.

[​IMG]

Wei, Torn7th, BigBird and 1 other person like this.
  18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

:crackup:

19. For a sportbike for street duty hard to beat a Honder, expensive to make go fast on the track though. Wish they would all go back to 750's.

Torn7th and Steeltoe like this.
  20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Sorry but "best overall street bike" with ANYTHING that has you leaning forward onto your wrists doesn't jive with me. Swing a leg over one of the current ADV bikes for a couple hundred miles and then tell me again how any sportbike can possibly fit that category.

So if true that the CBR6 is gonzo, any rumors of a replacement??? A yr or two ago weren't there rumors flying about with the R6 going 3 cylinders??? How cool would it be if Honda is dumping the CBR platform to come out with an all new sporting triple??? :D