1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Grom or Kayo minigp bike for Training

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by TT2013, Jan 21, 2016.

1. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Its pretty old but I have no idea cause I have mixed and matched like 4 different bikes front hubs lol, but honestly I tried several different hubs (all of my wheels), EBC all had the same problem and swapping to OEM and all was good. Since I already had them I put one EBC and one OEM in rear for functionality and not just throwing away the good shoes but will NOT buy them again. I will go OEM or maybe try like Vesrah or something. EBC can make good stuff (run their rotor and pads on some of my bigger bikes) but their XR shoes were garbage for me.

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

i can get the rear to lock up fine, so EBC's out back and OEM up front, I guess.

3. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

I am a big boy and never had a problem with the breaks on my XR100.... Could do an endo any time I wanted

4. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

^^ Well if you have some "special" parts that work feel free to let us know lol. I have three XRs and none of them have brakes that I feel are "good" and all of them have fresh OEM parts and proper service per the service manual. The other thing here that is a fair discussion point obviously includes rider technique. I am sure I could get one to pop the rear wheel up in the air as well if I threw my body weight forward and unloaded the rear, but for my skill set as a rider; trying to be stable and setup for corner entry ..... not sure that an endo would "end" well for me.

5. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

the brakes are total crap lol.. i think down shifting works better than the brakes..

t11ravis and noles19 like this.
  6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

It does, ferodo shoes are good once they are hot. but you still have to grab a downshift to get it to stop at all..

jeffr1ey likes this.
  7. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Or you get a set of MB50 fork lowers and graft a disk onto your XR100. It works well.

[​IMG]

jeffr1ey and firealarmguy like this.
  8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

What does that setup cost, and dies it work on the xr200??

9. backcountryme

I got the fork legs on ebay for $50. I had the caliper, the wheel was off of a Giovanni X-31 pit bike (19 inch and steel rim, trying to keep it as close to the stock wheel as possible for the class I run it), and the rotor is a rear rotor for a GSXR 600. Total cost of setup was about $100 and some of my time to build the adapters.

10. SamG

SamG yellow plate for life!!

I have a crf150f with 17" sumo wheels on it from a crf150r. Had to do some customizing to convert the rear drum brake to disc, but it's a helluva lot of fun. I can run my front race takeoffs from the r6 on both front and rear of the 150.

11. SamG

SamG yellow plate for life!!

And, it's still legal for the 80cc mini class. :)

12. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

that's bad ass lol

13. backcountryme

Thanks. It was a lot of fun designing and building it.

14. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

I went complete front forks off a 1984 CR80. Forks fit the stock 100 tree.

15. backcountryme

I wanted to lower the front of my bike to steepen the head angle. The mb50 legs are quite a bit shorter the the stock XR legs. After swapping parts back and forth between the two, I was able to lower the forks by about an inch. The steering feels much better now. Oh, our class requires running the stock size wheels, so I have to run a 19 inch front.