1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda boots Lorenzo

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, May 21, 2019.

?

Is he toast

1. Yes he's out

34.0%
  2. Nope he will win more than 1 race this season

29.1%
  3. Nope.

36.9%
  1. Phl218

Phl218 .

^ but those were intended for Rossi

Gorilla George likes this.
  2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

That’s what happens when you leave the beeb for a few months...your reaction time slows way down :crackup:

3. No shit right. Im still trying to get my mojo back. :D

4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Seems to me Brivio said they had no real interest in Jorge. Too old.

They were taking the path of youth talent development.

(....)

Of course, you could translate that into what he really meant, such as: "Too expensive" or "Too much maintenance"....

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

It's Suzuki. The only translation is too expensive.

SGVRider likes this.
  6. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Definitely too much maintenance. They learned their lesson bringing about bringing in a star with the Iannone saga and decided to go for riders that didn't have much power or leverage to negotiate. I think JLo has eaten enough humble pie and they should REALLY consider him in 2021, because that rider and bike combination would be an immediate title threat.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

No.

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

How long before Lin Jarvis sends both Rossi and Mav. V. to Japan? :D

Phl218, BigBird and masshole like this.
  9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Send their bikes back to Japan.

Phl218, BigBird, motoboy and 2 others like this.
  10. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Lin Jarvis will smile before he sends Rossi to Japan.

crashman, Phl218, SGVRider and 4 others like this.
  11. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I haven’t been on here in a week or so so this may have already been addressed.

Lorenzos first win came after Duc gave him what he’d been asking for. Comfort on the bike. The contract was signed but Duc didn’t know that when they were making the part.

Mediocre and Lorenzo should never be in the same sentence. He has 3 GP championships. Like him or not, he’ll never be mediocre.

SGVRider, ducnut, Senna and 1 other person like this.
  12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Maybe mediocre isn't the correct descriptor, fair point. Maybe calculating is better fitting. People on here used to piss and moan about Mladin cherry picking the US SBK series instead of going to WSBK or something (even though he did compete in GP on a Cagiva for a season or two). Mladin was a very calculating rider and businessman, he treated racing as a business and a paycheck to support his family, not necessarily something he did purely out of passion for the sport....which he freely admitted to on many occasions.

SGVRider likes this.
  13. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I guess I don’t see Lorenzo being that petty. Mladin, as good as he was, knew that he’s never make as much money as he was making in the states. So he choose to do what was best and not risk smaller checks for the small hope of a GP title.

Lorenzo already has 3. He’s has more money God.

When you get to that level I think it’s all about ego. Yes, there are riders like Zarco for instance that will take the check and it’s smart move. For most that have won a GP title, it’s about your name in the pages of GP history. Make no mistake, Lorenzo wants to win on a Honda. How many have won GP for 3 different factories. I don’t see Lorenzo being any different than MM or VR in their mindset. They’re all egotistical and rightfully so.

Phl218, crashman and SGVRider like this.
  14. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Suzuki had a fair point that they wanted riders for whom Suzuki was an aspiration, not desperation. I think Lorenzo would be happy to be there though, and would do much better than at Honda.

Suzuki’s youth strategy makes sense from a cost perspective, but it’s very high risk. It’s worked with Rins cause that boy is an animal. But I feel like they need a satellite team to help develop talent. Ducati does this perfectly. Develop people on the closely knit satellite teams then move them to the factory when they’re seasoned.

If I were Brivio I’d be interested in Jorge, but definitely very cautious because his acerbic personality could definitely upset the team dynamic. At least in Jorge vs Iannone you have a guy that actually wants to be a motorcycle racer though so not at all the same situation.

I think Joan Mir is developing well and I wouldn’t want to see him booted for Lorenzo. Lorenzo on the Zook would fucking annihilate though. This is why they need 4 slots and not 2.

My ideal would be to see Aprilia and Gresini divorce, Aprilia either fuck off from whence they came or make their own team at the back of the grid and Suzuki partner with Gresini.

Does anyone else think Ducati is the best factory on the grid overall? I think these guys do everything well, their talent pipeline and program, Gigi’s almost cheating, always tricking and playing the Japanese, they seem to out innovate their rivals in every area not just technical. I like the team strategy they’re trying with Dovi and Petrux. If you can’t get another Marquez you may as well have your guys work together to beat him. The only thing Honda has over Ducati is their sheer resources.

The Great One and Phl218 like this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

They said Lorenzo would be good on the Honda...well

Also, why would you want to see a manufacturer leave the sport?

16. Suzuki said in Catalunya that it will be at least two more seasons before they are ready to field a satellite team.

17. SGVRider

I think he’ll do well on the Honda at some point because of his ability and tenacity and Honda resources, but the Zook was always a more natural fit. I was much more interested in seeing him at Suzuki. I suspect Lorenzo might’ve been too, but he has to get paid while he can. Hond

I actually don’t want to see Aprilia leave, but I really don’t understand the point of their program and I can’t see how they’ll survive in MotoGP. They’re a scrappy and clever factory and that’s great, but what can you do in GP on a shoestring? They apparently had a better bike than KTM at some point but now they’re falling behind because $$, it’ll just get worse.

Yeah not every factory will take titles and constant wins and that’s fine, but I would think the exercise isn’t worth it as a factory unless you can at a minimum be a threat to win 1-2 races and be a semi consistent podium threat.

How much advertising value are they getting from finishing outside the top ten?

I hope Aprilia does well and sticks around, but KTM has truckloads of cash and is only advancing at a glacial pace.

Ducati is only still around because of their pre-cig ban relationship with Phillip Morris. Now they have an entire fake company behind them.

Aprilia needs to get some cash. If they have some balls I think they should find a medical marijuana company before the regulator killjoys ban advertising for that too.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  18. SGVRider

I hope they do it and aren’t blowing hot air. That bike is the shit and so is Rins, with more resources and a satellite team for development and data they can be right there with Honda and Ducati. If it takes them 2 years to field a satellite team I hope they’re putting equal money into the bike until then, Rins will be a threat to win at every race if he stops getting his doors blown off by Honda/Ducati power.

19. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Breaking news. Bradley Smith still sucks.

20. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Ducati is notorious for taking forever to get a rider what he needs.

BHP41 likes this.