1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Security WiFi Camera

Discussion in 'General' started by vfrket, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

But that means setting up a PC :crackup:

Thanks for the info!

2. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's cool, used to build stuff like that to take to the track before laptops got affordable.

I've got an old server that should work just fine, just need to set it up. Have to get over being lazy.

4. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

From what I've read Ring has better resolution and picks up quicker than the Arlo - however costs $100/year for monitoring.

For those of you with Arlo - any complaints on either?

5. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Well I am stumped, my uncle has a place in the north Georgia mountains that is very remote yet he shares his side of the mountain with an inconsiderate neighbor who allows his goats to roam around and damage his property. While I understand this could be solved with an expensive fence, he has decided to buy an 8 camera night owl brand system with a dvr that can alert him via app when there is an intrusion, as he frequently travels out of town. He is awaiting my input before he purchases.

The problem is that his Dish provided internet has a measly upload speed of .04mbps while the app for the camera’s dvr alert requires 3 to 5mbps. I don’t think his 4G AT&T hotspot will provide enough for him to receive notifications either. Even the competition like Lorex requires at minimum 1 mbps upload speed.

I was given the higher upload requirements by night owl’s helpline, however when I look online they list their four camera system like it will be fine with the 300 to 400k minimum provided by Dish.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  6. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

My friend is consistently getting 3MBs upload from his AT&T hotspot. Have you run speedtest on a device connected to the hotspot to see what kind of upload speeds you're actually getting?

7. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Not yet, but that’s a good suggestion.
    I’ll be up there Friday and that’s what I’ll plan to do with both the Dish and 4G connections.

8. Elsinore

Elsinore Well-Known Member

I just got the Arlo 6-camera system (2 Q, 4 wireless + base station, from Amazon) and had it up and running with 3 cameras in about an hour or so.
    So far, I'm impressed and the system is doing exactly what I needed...mostly keeping an eye on my elderly father, dogs, and occasional visitors/Package deliveries. I had a minor issue with setup and had to use the 'chat' support to get my base station firmware upgraded. Another note: it appears that the Basic 'free' cloud storage only supports up to 6 cameras.
    I monitor from iPhone and Chromebook - works great.

9. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Cool, I'm looking at the same system.

10. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Purchased Ring and justified the extra cost with better reviews and their upcoming security system. The $99/year fee for their cameras includes the alarm which is a bargain compared to the typical $50/month from ADT, etc. State Farm gives me a $200/year discount for having the alarm, so it's a no brainer.

However I'm disappointed in the performance. They don't consistently pick up the same motion. The exact same person walking in the exact same place won't always trigger the cameras.

From what I understand, DVR systems allieveate that as they record EVERYTHING for at least we week. The downside is the expense of installation.

Is there a DVR system that is battery powered and wireless from the camera to the DVR? A quick Google search came up with a few, but they only record motion - not 24x7 like the wired systems.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018