1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home safes

Discussion in 'General' started by galloway840, Mar 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Looking for first-hand recommendations on a home safe for a family member.

Thinking about a hidden wall-safe, but am open to suggestions.

Use will be small jewelry, maybe a few critical documents, SSN card, that type of thing...

Go!

Thanks, Richard

2. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Just invite Mark151 over and give him a bottle of rum. He'll hide all that shit and nobody will ever find it. :crackup:

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Well if it's not hidden, it needs to be bolted down. If it's not bolted down and you're just using it for document protection, i'd probably leave the damn key in it because a thief is just going to steal the whole damn thing if it's not too heavy. Maybe also consider a safety deposit box if it's not something you'll need instant access too.

4. galloway840

Yes, we're considering that. It's for an elderly family member, so we want to simplify as much as possible.

i agree it needs to be bolted or heavy.

5. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Check out Sturdy Safe
    They might have something

6. galloway840

Thanks. Good looking products, albeit expensive. I will say I'm always a touch skeptical when every single product gets 5 out of 5 stars from every single reviewer...I mean, man they look good, but customers are finicky and will often complain about nothing - like when a 300lb safe actually weighs 300lb!

7. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

They are well built, use Sargent and Greenleaf locks, not the prettiest safe, lots of a la carte build options
    A guy at work has one and I looked it over pretty good

8. zbunny

zbunny Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, you are in Michigan.

There is a reputable safe store in Keego Harbor on Orchard Lake Rd that will deliver and install.

The owners are characters, but, they accommodated my impossible to please family members.

9. michaelrc51

michaelrc51 Well-Known Member

Look up Gardall, Meilink or Amsec. They're well built with quality hardware and are a nice size without breaking the bank.
    I wouldn't recommend wall safes as they offer no real fire protection.

Can you be more specific with what you want to do with it?

10. galloway840

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll have a look into some of these.

The safe is to protect some basic valuables when there are healthcare and home assistants in a relative's house (not mine). I've asked for some details, about size and mounting location, etc. Don't have too much yet...

11. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I think the Gardall and Amsec homeowner models are made in China to keep the price point down. I never heard of Meilink so I don't have any comment.

12. michaelrc51

Pretty sure Gardall and Amsec are made here in the US but I’ll look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Wished you had asked a couple weeks ago, we just paid to get rid of one at work.

It was about 24" x 48" x 84" and weighed about 9000 lbs, so it would have been plenty large.

15. michaelrc51

That’s how it usually works.
    Was it a TRTLx6-30?

16. michaelrc51

Looks like a decent manufacturer. I’ve never worked on one or opened one but they look decent.

AMSEC- all I can find is that the majority are still made in the US which Leeds me to believe they’re outsourcing container construction with the lower lines.

Gardall- it also appears to be that they don’t make all of their safes here in the US.

My Gardall gun safe was made here though.

Also check Liberty Safe.
    Just FYI, OP- You’ll find all kinds of different price points dependent on size, fire rating, and burg ratings. When comparing 2 models, be sure you’re comparing apples to apples.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Don't know. the name plate was missing or obscured. This one would have made an awesome gun safe for someone that hasn't lost their weapons in a tragic boating accident.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was thinking I'd love it - until I'd have to hire a rollback to get it to the house :D

19. michaelrc51

That’s a Burglary rating. When it’s that heavy it’s gotta be a TRTL-30x6. Meaning, it’s got thick steal and hard plate lining all 6 surfaces.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The folks that moved it tilted it onto its face on a dolly. Reports are that their trailer was NOT happy with the load.