1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holy crap LSU is bringing it.

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

The ultimate benefit is that the playoff committee gets to look at all of this. Clemson can't help who they play in conference, but if they want continued respect they need to start scheduling some decent OOC games. LSU had Miami(a few years ago when they were respectable), Oregon, Wisconsin, Texas etc all to open the last few seasons. Bama needs to do this as well. Particularly since their permanent east division opponent is TN.

Like I said, if Clemson wins out they deserve to be in....this year. BUT, The math is easy. What's more difficult, beating 2 ranked opponents all year or 8 or 9? Depending on the year and records, there are times a 1 loss team is more deserving than an undefeated team. Who have you beaten is just as important of a criterion as who have you lost to. The point being that the committee considers not just your record, but who it was against.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Y'all really do make a popularity contest almost seem scientific :crackup:

cav115, R Acree and dtalbott like this.
  3. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I agree with what you said regarding Alabama but their strength of schedule is being tested now and for the duration of the season. They get to prove on the field whether they're legit (and everyone knows they have the talent, the question is can they produce the results). We know the same thing about Clemson. Plenty of talent but it's like using a 12 gauge to kill pinkie mice. Yeah, they're plenty dead but just about anyone else could have gotten it done with a pellet gun.

4. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

except 2 years ago, I think, when Bama didnt make the SEC title game but still made it in?

dtalbott likes this.
  5. ClemsonsR6

Ditto. Listen this guy, he knows what he's talking bout.

Spang308 likes this.
  6. ClemsonsR6

OMG, do you have an original thought of your own or are just copy and pasting from Paul Dumbass's show transcript.

7. ClemsonsR6

Once again...Ditto. Listen to this guy, he know's his stuff.

8. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I have a theory and bowl game results sort of reinforce it. What if the ACC doesn't really suck, but Clemson is just that good?

dtalbott likes this.
  9. Spang308

I don't want to get too dungeony, but Bama losing last year because they were banged up from their tough schedule is as ridiculous as Trump got elected because the Russians.
    Repeat it enough times and everyone starts talking about it. It's horseshit, but mainstream horseshit.

10. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Would that be along the same thought pattern as Oklahoma QB's do well only because their conference has shit defenses, and then those same QB's throw for 300+ yards when they get to play SEC teams?

11. Spang308

When those SEC teams have weak ass Big12 like defenses, sure. Bama and LSU aren't exactly shutting teams down this year. Hell, Bama gave up 30 points to Ole Miss.
    Ask Baker Mayfield if Clemson D was tougher than the Big12 stuff he lit up all year.

12. gholder

gholder Member

The schedules are made years in advance, hard to tell exactly how strong or weak it will be years in the future. And you can't blame a team for a weak IN CONFERENCE schedule, such as cross-division games. Duke, Louisville, Florida State, Southern Cal, Wisconsin, West Virginia, Virginia Tech (twice), Michigan, Penn St (twice). Not exactly weak teams. Those are some non-conference regular season wins Bama has had under Saban, mostly openers. And do you think it's easy to get a power 5 team to play them? I doubt it. In the Committee era, teams are figuring out they need to start scheduling better nc games, it's better for the game. Saban has openly been saying this for years. Unfortunately this year, they won't have a big nc win when they will probably need it to get in final 4.

13. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

the all 22 video layout was hilarious... (cbs sports online)
    looking for the most miserable fans

14. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Wow. I have no clue who you're talking about. No, these are my thoughts. I don't listen to or frequent any sports talk pages or radio shows. If this Paul guy is smart enough to crib from me then so be it.

Correction. I have no clue what I'm talking about either, so there is that. I had no idea there was any expectation that anyone posting on this board has the remotest clue what they're talking about either.

Dragginass likes this.
  15. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

16. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Mayfield threw for 311 yards, 1 TD, 2 picks.

17. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I love it. People strutting and bragging over the accomplishments of others.

18. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

That's different than talking about MotoGP, WSBK, MA???;)

19. skiz

skiz Member

Why dont we just go with 256 like they do in tennis.?

Lets talk reality for a sec.
    Is it possible that the #5 ranked team is the best in the country.? Answer: YES, and therefore the 4 team playoff deciding the championship in some back room, rather than on the field, is bullshit.
    Is it possible that the #9 ranked team is the best in the country.? Answer: NO, and therefore an 8 team playoff should decide the championship ON THE FIELD.

IMO the only question is: Who should be included in the 8.?
    I say all conference champs that are ranked #12 or higher. Finish out your 8 with the highest CFP ranked teams that are not conference champs.

20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Someone didn't read the fine print...