1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hold a grain of sand at arms length......

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Jul 11, 2022.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I still love the photon of light bouncing between 2 mirrors on a train experiment. That one will make your head explode

2. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Let's say we resolve Auminer's objection by parking this hypothetical telescope 100 light years from Earth and placing it in an inertial reference frame exactly parallel to our solar system. If (and this is a bigassed if) we could somehow resolve details of our planet from that far away, we'd still have to wait 100 years to see the results since we haven't found any method to transmit that information faster than the speed of light. Of course if we've solved how to accelerate mass beyond C I guess it would be child's play to come up with subspace transmitters.

motion likes this.
  3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

yep

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

But even at double the speed of light, it would be 50 years just to get back to Nixon.

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

To be fair, I was objecting to a fallacious what-if, anyway.

Faster then light travel is impossible as an object's mass reaches infinity if it travels at light speed. Faster than C the object's mass is > infinity which is incalculable.

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

than

auminer likes this.
  7. auminer

Damn smatfone. :mad:

motion likes this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

9. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Faster than travel is not impossible. Researchers in Switzerland have actually succeeded in speeding up photons artificially. also…. if you found yourself outside of the bulk of space time you could theoretically travel from one point to another instantly. Faster than light. If you’re speaking observationally then yes, as mass approaches C energy required to propel faster becomes infinite… assuming normal matter propulsion. We know that antimatter propels space beyond the speed of light though so….
    But now we’re getting wayyyy beyond looking back and seeing earth from your travel destination…

10. gixxernaut

They claim that space (the universe) itself is expanding faster than light, which means the distance between us and faraway galaxies is increasing at a rate higher than light speed. But nothing in the universe with mass is moving through space at greater than light speed. That does make my brain hurt a little because I don't understand how we can say it "appears" that a remote galaxy is receding from us faster than light speed. It seems like that would only make sense if we couldn't actually see it because its light never reaches us. But then how would we know it is/was there? Seems like a paradox. That really is one of those things that make me go "Hmmm."

11. auminer

An object can't travel through space faster than the speed of light, but space itself has no speed limit.

Think of it this way: get a long rubber band and tie knots in it. when you pull the ends apart, the space between the knots expands. Now shift gears and look at it from the perspective that the space between the knots IS what's expanding. With a long enough rubber band, the two ends would be receding from one another at greater than the speed of light.

12. gixxernaut

I get that. What I don't get is how we can tell that a particular galaxy is moving away from us faster than the speed of light. The only way we'd know that is if the light coming from it wasn't reaching us. But then we wouldn't know it because the light wasn't reaching us.

13. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

We can’t tell if a galaxy is moving away from US greater than the speed of light. We wouldn’t see it. How we infer cosmic expansion is by observing various clusters we CAN see and calculate what rate they should be moving away by their mass and distance relative to the surround galactic neighborhood. The results of observation are always higher than what’s calculated inferring the existence of some force or matter. There are some estimates that calculate the universe actually goes on for 50 billion years because of the rate of expansion. It’s just outside our ability to observe. which makes it completely outside did our universe as far as we’re concerned.

14. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

if we look to the left and see a galaxy moving away at 80% of the speed of light, and then look to the right and see another galaxy receding at 80% of the speed of light then those galaxies are moving apart at 160% of the speed of light.

15. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

So is our galaxy moving through space faster than the speed of light right now? Maybe we have already achieved moving at the speed of light and just don't know it.

16. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

no, from other points of reference within the inflationary cosmology outside of our light cone we find ourselves ever more distanced from. Galaxies themselves arent moving so much as space is expanding between them. At a certain rate the laws of gravity no longer apply and expand into infinity or a mathematical singularity. this is what makes me believe sir roger penrose’ theory about a cyclic universe….. because fundamental particles do not experience time therefore don’t care whether infinity is expansive or singular. It’s the same to them as time means nothing. So an infinitely expanded universe might as well be an infinitely dense one. Then boom. Another Big Bang with different configuration of particles.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    Hondo likes this.
  17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

18. ton

ton Arf!

Ugh. They even correctly refer to the constant as a rate above that.
    And don’t get me started on the fact that the article/authors converted it from metric to mph for the American masses

19. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

When I saw this, it made me think of this time travel travel discussion...
    upload_2022-8-10_20-17-7.png

R Acree, motion and tophyr like this.
  20. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

The level of Mega Nerds that browse this forum always amazes me.

love reading this stuff