1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

high dollar pet foods linked to heart disease.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by blue03R6, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, who actually listens to the FDA anyway? :D

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Way too many people. The FDA is completely infiltrated by the industries it's supposed to be regulating, and nearly everything they "recommend" is suspect, but most people don't understand that and think they're eating healthy, taking medicines that will make them better, etc.

The thing that's screwed up about dog food is that the dog food manufacturers successfully lobbied to not have to include complete nutritional information, specifically the information about carbohydrates. Dogs aren't supposed to eat a bunch of carbs/sugar, so nearly every manufactured food is bad for them. Look at the bag, it'll stay something like 10% protein, 20% fat, but they leave off the carbs. The math is easy enough, but since they don't have to list it you have no idea how much is sugar, soluble fiber, or insoluble fiber.

BigBird likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I truly don't think they're listening to the FDA, I think they're listening to the news and their favorite social media posts that say what they want to believe.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

People don't actually seek out the FDA directly, but the information they produce and validate gets disseminated as gospel through all the various news, social media, "studies", education programs, advertising, and so on. I can remember learning about the food pyramid in something like second grade, and that thing is/was total bullshit.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well yeah, stupid is like water, seeks it's own level no matter what :D

6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

You mean the crazy dog ladies that are promoting homeopathic this that and crystals?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're not all dog people but yep, that's the crazy. I'm loving how scents and essential oils fix everything physical now :crackup:

sheepofblue likes this.
  8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

In that case, let me have the final word on human nutrition. Eat whatever the hell you want, but do it in moderation.

YamahaRick and sheepofblue like this.
  9. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Don't forget CBD oil

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I used to think that the CBD hype was just a backdoor plot to get recreational weed legalized. Then I finally gave in and started taking it (really just to shut my wife up about it)

Damned if my knees & hips don't feel a whole helluva lot better. My elbow is still jacked, but I don't think that there's any hope for it short of amputation.

11. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I won't argue that it isn't useful for anything, as there have definitely been studies that show some benefits, and the placebo effect is a hell of a thing so I'm sure it helps plenty of people that way also... I'm just sick of people who act like its the second coming of jesus and recommend it for everything from psoriasis to broken bones to strokes.
    I saw a video (that was just supposed to be a cute video) the other day going around of a dog who had a similar condition to the fainting goats where he'd get excited and just lock up and fall over... I'll be damned if half the comments weren't "I bet CBD oil would do wonders for him." :Puke: