1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi-Comp pistons GSXR 600

Discussion in 'Tech' started by stymie12000, Oct 11, 2011.

1. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

Question for the experienced motor builders. What gains should I expect (if any) from using hi compression pistons in a 08-10 gsxr 600? I think Suzuki claims 12.8-1 stock and I see wiseco makes a 13.1-1. Oh yeah, the motor already has a ss build (thinner head gasket, degree'd cam, milled head).

Would I be better off spending my money somewhere else for extra HP (head porting, lightened crank, cams, etc)? I will be running SB classes next year.

Thanks

2. wera_123

wera_123 Well-Known Member

PM sent

3. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

I know someone recently that did this on a 750 and lost power. On my older 600 bike, we went to the wiesco pistons and lost power...

4. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

I suspect you will end up having to put in a thicker head gasket if you go that way. With a milled head, thinner gasket, and hi comp pistons you have two problems. The pistons and headgasket both reduce squish, and the head gasket alone will probably put it close to 24 thous. If you add the pistons you are GOING to have piston to head contact with those values. Second, the piston to valve clearance is reduced by decking the head, by the thinner gasket, AND by the pistons. You probably ( almost surely) will have problems there without slotted sprockets, checking the clearance, and big numbers.

5. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

I vote no to aftermarket pistons, the stock items are very well made pieces as are the stock rings, which can not always be said of aftermarket stuff..
    Spend your money on a top level valve and throat job, new valves and springs and rings.
    If you have any money left over, go after aluminum clutch plates, and low friction roller bearings in the trans and wheels.
    Lastly, do you already have top level suspension parts?

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Tuner... who sells aluminum clutch plates??

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I want a good throat job.

8. Tunersricebowl

I used to get them from street and comp but I don't remember where they got them...
    I've got a call in to them, waiting to hear back if they can source for gsxr.

9. Tunersricebowl

You might be surprised at what changing the throat angle from 60 to 70 degrees will do.

10. Tunersricebowl

Seems the gentleman who was making them decided to stop.
    I know his name and how to reach him but I doubt he wants to be asked yet again if he is going to start up again.
    Too bad really, I had great service from the 1st gen R6 plates I ran..
    My impression is that in order to make a decent profit, the end user's price would have been steeper than he could get.
    Last word was that street and comp bought out his existing stock, so if they are out, there are no more to be had.

11. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

stock bore, ZERO dont waste your money.

2mm over depends on piston design. I worked with JE a lot this last winter and did a few 636cc sbk's and had GREAT results. We have ran domed and flat top...very different results, both good, but different...typically on MR12 (and other sbk mods) you get 135-138rwhp

If your keeping stock bore, stock pistons 08+ are great design. You can get a AMA ss legal one up to @126rwhp on MR12 (@119-121 on sunoco) but again its a lot of work/other items

pistons are one of the last things i'd replace on the GSXR600..unless needing...they really work well.

12. ed who?

kaboom...never had any brands/companies alloy drive plates hold up to anything over @120rwhp. Just my findings over the years. Lost a few engines too them too...alloy just melts..breaks..plugs up the oil pump, etc..

stick to oem steals! (misspelled on purpo$e)

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

twas what I figured...at least what I remember from dragracing. Later part of your post could apply to barnett fibers too. ;)

14. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be saving my money unless I go with an overbore.

Is the 2mm over from JE something available to the public. I can't seem to find them for the 08+ 600. Can I purchase them through you? You say that they are both different but good. Is the difference in the torque curve? Do I need to go with aftermarket rods with a 2mm over?

15. ed who?

not sure if they have a "shelf" piston...we worked with Brain and guys at JE on a specific for us piston design. I know others (im sure KWS and such) have "their design/specs" too. Yes, we sell them, no more extra than std custom spec pistons. Just we are careful who to sell too cause we want to be certain your squish is set right and your head is decked specifically for the cc shape/size. You dont "need" rods, but they do help. here is one we did for a guy, he swept all his SBK races and both the MoM series classes/championships

*this is before and after the season! As you can see only lost about 1% hp!! (but yes this was a $$ build) you can always get big hp and save $$/cut corners but not worth it in long run. This 135+rwhp sbk ran at @4,000 feet elevation and over 100degs temps all season, ZERO maintenence except oil and coolant changes at the track...even stock radiator (was a concern in beginning but never had issue) We built in feb then it went to Utah all year until last month. Same dyno, similar temps, same VP fuel, same std 180/55 dunlop q2 tire. im sure others around you can do similar, just be picky and ask a LOT of questions, also if you do a sbk dont cut corners!! why invest $$$ only to try and save $1.00. Im sure you could really lean on them and play with head/camtiming to hit more peak 138+hp but HOW it makes power is the main benefit to a 636cc sbk. A lot of fun to ride too :beer:

edit: btw this is at SEA LEVEL (Our shop is @79feet) obviously made less at Miller..but so does every other bike.

Attached Files:

• 636.jpg
      636.jpg
      File size:
      65.1 KB
      Views: