1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hey tile guys

Discussion in 'General' started by Tristan, Jan 20, 2017.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

That doesn't seem like a lot for a warm shop thru the winter. Especially up there.

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I heat the house(28x48 rambler) and the garage(26'x36') for way less than that, combined. Actually, I don't think its gone over $200. The garage is kept at 60° and the house at 67°.

And remember, he couldn't even get his to 60°.

3. eggfooyoung

$300 for the season, right?

4. eggfooyoung

Even if it was double that.

I don't like working in gloves!

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

For one month!

Edit - I just looked and noticed I hadn't pointed that out in the original post.

6. eggfooyoung

Ok, that might be a tad high.

Gloves aren't so bad, I suppose.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I've got a little over 2k sq ft in my shop. Block walls, leaky doors, shitty insulation.

December's heating bill to keep it at 50 was $89. Got a Modine unit heater, no eye deer what the BTU is on it.

If I were KO I wouldn't touch that shit either. 10*15*240=36 THOUSAND watts! Dennis Kronberg heats his garagemahal with a 5000w electric water heater driving the hydronic heat.

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

He needs to put in a furnace. I told him to put in a 96% house furnace, run some ducting, including one that heats the ceiling of the paint booth, and enjoy the warmth.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Yep. With 16' ceilings he could run a massive spiral pipe down the center and vent off where he needs it.

10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Phl218 likes this.
  11. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

bump this up...

one of my stand-up corner shower stalls is a pile of bullshit, the other one is nicely done. estimate on price to replace the stupid ass acrylic pan and crappy acrylic walls that flex and the stupid cheap alum frame/glass, with some nicer stuff and tile? 36x36" neo-angle type... i don't want to move the drain or faucet or head and none of that stuff needs to be replaced. $1400 a fair estimate to expect? more/less?

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

How much tile? DC market is probably higher than here, but I think you are low if you are running tile up the walls.

noles19 likes this.
  13. Sweatypants

yea i guess the wall too... 36x36x72h??? this was not something i was expecting to have to do, but me being my OCD self, it'll just piss me off forever if i don't, so yea... whatever the ballpark is, probably try and have it done next month. this is totally eating into my painting and shop area flooring monies godamnit. fuckin' home ownership...

this kinda thing pretty much exactly. picture that right now, but with the cheapest flexing white horseshit on earth. pan and walls. so yea, same idea as the picture but with a frame that won't leak where it meets the pan cause its flexes so much and the caulk won't hold...

[​IMG]

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Have you looked into the solid surface showers? I have no idea what the cost is, but leaks should not be an issue. As for tile, doing it costs $$. Doing it right costs a bit more. The guy my wife uses on remodels installs a Schluter system for showers. Pricey, but no call backs for leaks.

15. eggfooyoung

Replacement of shower drain - $200-400
    Mud pan - $400-500
    Wonderboard installed and taped - $200-300
    Waterproofing - $150
    Tile, grout, setting materials - $2-6 sq/ft
    Tile/grout installation - $8-10 sq/ft
    Door - $500-800 for that hunk of shit in the picture
    Door installation -$200

There are a couple of variables in there, but above is on the cheap.

BigBird likes this.
  16. Sweatypants

haven't. but that might work too i guess. whatever is sturdy and solid and will hold up well for a decade or more is what i'm after. i'm not after like a particular tile type/look or anything like that.

right now its basically like this kinda shit...

[​IMG]

and the walls flex and the pan flexes. i re-caulked it, but where the aluminum frame touches the edges of the pan it can shift just enough that the caulk moves. wall seam caulk seems like it'd be iffy after a time too because of the flexing. if you spray the window area with the shower head, there will be a tiny bit of water that has leaked out onto the floor when you're done showering. its not pouring into the walls or standing puddles on the floor or anything, but i don't like it and it feels like cheap garbage. the other bathroom has a standup shower too, but its a totally different company/design and feels sturdy and awesome. i dunno why this old hag cheaped out on only this one when everything else in the house is pretty nice.

but i'm up for anything i guess that'll last and look nice...

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

to just prevent the flex, spray construction foam under the pan...

18. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Funny this thread got bumped...a mere 10 months after I did the kitchen floor I finally finished the bathroom (same tile, also heated). Came out damn near perfect, biggest difference was making sure I used enough self leveler to cover all the heating wires/guides so I had a nice flat surface to tile on. What really amazed me was the premixed grout I used on the kitchen was still good in the container and I was able to use it. Well worth the $45 for the small bucket, easy to use and doesn't require a separate sealing. Next project (don't hold your breath) is getting rid of the shitty shower enclosure just like the above. I laughed at the $1400 estimate...even Foo's numbers seem really reasonable.

19. Sweatypants

at this point, i plan on reaching into my pocket and spraying some dude.............. with money. ha!

i don't have the time or desire to give this one a go with everything else goin on, but i appreciate the sentiment haha. my roller box consists of like 98% automotive tools, and while i'm slowly getting some more home type stuff... between the 15 trips to Home Depot and buying tools and demo and figuring everything out and time... i'm paying somebody for this one.

Phl218 likes this.
  20. Sweatypants

right on. i had zero reference. a few more hundo won't break the bank i guess. double $1400 would piss me off haha.