1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hey tile guys

Discussion in 'General' started by Tristan, Jan 20, 2017.

1. No. like insulation type of foam to act as a dam.

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

What leveling product do you like?

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Real men use 4x4 natural slate tile. Cause the difference in size and thickness will make you go jack nicholson/the shinning insane.

Did my master bath shower with those little instruments of torture. Never touching less than 12 x 12 tile from now on....

noles19 and YZROOSTINYA like this.
  4. Tristan

We looked at some of the smaller natural stone tiles- the fact that almost all of them had broken pieces in the store turned me off

5. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

6. YZROOSTINYA

The best is when you use natuaral stone and it swells when it gets wet. have fun making that flat with 1/8" joints!

7. Tristan

what size joints for 12x24 tile?

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Your choice.

9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Been there, also just did a shower with the best 6x6 tile Lowe's sells, or so I thought. There was a huge shade variation and some of the tiles were an 1/8 inch bigger..

10. Tristan

Isn't there a minimum for the grout to stay together well? I was thinking 3/16"

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

i used 1/8 for 12x24 slate

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Grout gets dirty and can be difficult to clean. I like narrow grout lines.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

deping on the 12x24" tiles, I like smaller gaps because it makes it look like wood planks

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Quick heads up if you live in a larger sized town...a lot of the tile specific retailers have a once a year sale to discard the stuff that didn't sell in order to make room for the new styles. Our kitchen tile was $10 per SF marked down to $1 a SF. Yes you have to plan ahead but that's killer savings.

XFBO likes this.
  15. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I did subway tile in our bathroom, shower with a 48" wainscoat in the rest of the bathroom, plus 1" octogon floor tiles. We bought it all on a Black Friday sale at the tile shop, saved a boat load of cash on that deal. It was before we closed on our house and they held the order in their shop for almost 2 months before I picked it up.

16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Credit card.

YZROOSTINYA likes this.
  17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I don't know any tile layers that take payment that way ;)

18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

[​IMG]

Bath room tile torture device.
    What happens when you see slate tile remnant for $1 Sq ft on CL. I have a few boxes, maybe 30sq ft, left in anyone wants some tile...

19. YZROOSTINYA

I always do small joints now 1/16-3/16"
    I have seen lowes/depot tiles up to a 1/4" off in size. Its all factory seconds or made for them.

20. Tristan

no shit? I'd much prefer the look of that.