1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heroin - and I'm an asshole

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by rk97, May 21, 2017.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

FTFY

Banditracer likes this.
  2. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss Brit - addiction is never easy for anyone involved. Even when they are clean you often wonder when the next time is going to be. With the purity of heroin and the fentanyl lacing continuing to increase, even a year off the stuff can lead to an OD if they go back to hitting it as hard as when they stopped. There is nothing anyone can say to make it easier - but I am sorry. Drugs are monsters.

I am the same way -I hate the way I feel on pain killers and usually switch to over the counter stuff pretty quick. Coupled with the fact that most pain killers lower your platelets and I already have platelet levels at the bottom of the spectrum - so I risk uncontrolled bleeding if I hurt myself when I take them as well. Saturday I ended up in the ER because I ruptured my biopsy sites - I popped 600 miligrams of Advil before a 3 mile run and nearly bled to death because I couldn't stop the bleeding. I have orders to stay off all pain killers 10 days before my surgery in April so I don't die when they slice the bad bits of me out.

We were trained to intubate in the field and not give narcan in our area - too many people wake up and start fighting the medics. They do give it to the street police though.

3. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

I was reading about that not too long ago, and thought it was pretty interesting. I wonder if that will ultimately become the prehospital standard of care for the reason you mentioned...or maybe it already is. :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Bad bits suck.

5. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

That and it's really hard to distinguish the type of overdose in the field unless you see the physical evidence of what they were using. We don't want to be indiscriminately using narcan on someone who doesn't need it - mechanical breathing is much safer than pumping the wrong drugs into someone - as narcan can cause heart problems.

At least they are contained right now, that's all I can hope for :)
    The mental exhaustion is the biggest issue right now. I cannot gather enough energy to have an emotion - the most I feel lately when something happens is "eh, fucking figures."

6. Arioch

Arioch Member

Check out MTHFR gene mutation and correlation with addiction. People with MTHFR mutation have a defective MTHFR enzyme. A person who is MTHFR homozygous (from both parents) has 70-90% reduced activity of the MTHFR enzyme. The MTHFR enzyme is active in a process called methylation that takes place within our cells. Methylation is important for over 200 cellular processes and takes place over a billion times per second within the human body. One study we saw, showed a correlation between MTHFR mutation and addiction. Not everyone who has MTHFR mutation is an addict (I am homozygous and not an addict), but a large percentage of addicts were positive 90%.

Although purely anecdotal, we have been having success with helping a family member (heroin addict) with supplements - to aid the methylation cycle. There is a reason your parents said, “eat your spinach”. Dark leafy greens have folate which aids in methylation. Our guy eats like shit though, so we get him supplements. He believes it is helping. He is presently clean, living on his own and working. I am not selling anything so just google it. The pills we get are not cheap, but, we think, worth it.
    In the future, I hope we see more on genetic testing and nutritional supplements in the fight against addiction.
    p.s. Make your kids eat their spinach, every day.

Yzasserina likes this.
  7. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Only thing they would let me take 10 days before surgery was calcium,vitamin c and d3 . No nothing else. (any other supplements,vitamins,fish oils,CBD products,advil,alleve,aspirin etc etc )

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!