1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!! With 600rr front end!!

Discussion in 'Tech' started by t_furgeson, Sep 8, 2005.

1. t_furgeson

t_furgeson Well-Known Member

Bike is a 2003 600rr, 10k miles.
    My post to 600rr.net has a link at the bottom.
    Thanks

When I go over 50 mph and brake I can feel the whole front end shake, but goes away around 45mph. I have changed the pads, tire, had the rotors resurfaced, bled the brakes and it is still doing it. Another thing I noticed today was when I accelerate I can hear some squeaking from the front wheel area, only when accelerating though, not coasting or braking. This issue is driving me nuts, it is my wifes bike and I have her signed up for her first trackday so I need to get this dialed in asap. The only thing I think that is left that it could be are the wheel bearings?? or calipers(which I have never seen before)??
    The bike is an 03 with Jardine pipe, braided lines, and the forks are raised half an inch.
    Thanks for any help!!

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?p=408573&posted=1#post408573

2. pvd

pvd Active Member

i bet that you have never set the sag on this bike. i bet that you have never adjuststed the compression damping either.

drop the forks back. duh!!!!!!!!!!!! this is your number 1 problem.

it must be the fancy exaust!

3. t_furgeson

The suspension was set up professionally way before the problem began. Just to rule things out I pet the suspension all back to the stock settings, took off the rotors again and made sure there was no debris between them and the rim. I have to believe that the problem is a wheel bearing that is just starting to wear out, but am looking for other ideas.

4. t_furgeson

whats with the exhaust comment?

5. Rocketmann#67

Rocketmann#67 Well-Known Member

have you checked the head tube bearings. just to make sure everything is tight?

6. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

steering stem bgrs. clean and lubed and set at the proper preload??

7. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

I was thinking wheel bearings.

8. t_furgeson

Head bearings are tight with no play at all

9. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

are the forks the exact same height in the triples?

ie - is the axle the same distance to the bottom tripple on each fork? (center of the axle)

10. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I had that problem before but it didn't cause my front end to vibrate. The worst it caused was real bad stiction in the forks. He said there is no play in the steering stem bearings but maybe there is a flat spot in one of them. Would this cause the 'wobbles?'

11. t_furgeson

Forks are the same height. This is driving me nuts.

12. Rocketmann#67

Rocketmann#67 Well-Known Member

might want to take the whole front end apart and inspect everything as you put it together...

13. Raise the front off the ground and see if you can move the forks front to back, also check the wheel to see if you can tell if the bearings are bad. The steering head bearings usually will show vibrations around 25mph and 55mph don't ask why they just do. Have you ever lubed the axle and bearings surfaces when you take the wheel off checking the other stuff. How was the bike rode...lots of wheelies, or stoppies, rain? I wouldn't tighten the steering stem bearings without inspecting them, they may have a flat spot on them which would only make things worse. Even if you can't get the wheel to move while on the bike, take it off and inspect the bearings try to turn them see if they turn smooth or are notchy, also check for movement side to side and up and down. Sounds to me that they either dried out from no lube, and riding in the rain or washing and letting it set. Good luck

14. t_furgeson

no wheelies or stoppies. the only time I get a vibration is braking over 50 mph. The faster I slow down from the worse it gets. The bearings seem to spin perfectly. Everything feels solid, no play. I am going to see if anyone on the 600rr forum will swap front wheels with me just for a test ride to see if the problem is gone. Thanks for all the help, if you think of anything else let me know.

15. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Might ask them if you can swap the axle, also.

16. t_furgeson

the axle seems very smooth with no wear, but I have no idea anymore.

17. all4sale

all4sale Well-Known Member

maybe you are mounting the rotors unevenly?

when you remount the rotors, do you tighten them clock wise, counter clock wise, or always go with the bolt directly across from the last bolt you tightened? Try the latter. like a car wheel.

for some reason, i'd say swap out the rotors.. I guess because it's a braking issue, seems to be.

Have you inspected the calipers for proper working condition too?

18. all4sale

try tighting the rotors evenly like i said, but if that doesnt' work,

I think you should buy a complete front wheel from ebay, with rotors, tire and all. Put it on. Ride it. see if the problem is solved. If not, you can resell the wheel on ebay.

If the problem is solved, you can swap the rotors and see if that was the problem..

if not, then it's either your bearings or your tire?

Hey what tire pressure are you runnng?

One more thing to try... ride the bike, and in gear, let go of the handle bars, and see if they shake..

19. all4sale

also does the bike sit outside for long periods of time? could be a flat spot in the tire?

also check and see if your suspension settings are equal between both forks. (someone could have screwed with one? although unlikely i would think)

20. t_furgeson

Rotors are evenly tight. Brand new front tire (same problem when the old tire was on) Rotors were resurfaced. Bike only shakes when front brakes are applied over 50mph. Running 35 psi with the new tire. Gonna order wheel bearings on Monday.