1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help on 08-09 GSXR Armor bodies SB tail

Discussion in 'Tech' started by John LegionST, Feb 29, 2012.

1. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

I cant figure out how (or even where) to mount the support piece that comes with that tail. I'm sure I can figure something out, but I feel I'm missing the obvious and correct way at the moment... I installed one on an 05 last year and it was very straight forward. There were no instructions in the box.

Does anyone have experience with mounting one of these? pics are a plus!

TIA, and before anyone says it, I tried search first and got this...

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was invalid.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

John, I have one at the shop now getting new Armor Bodies for Roebling. I'll get you pics tomorrow.

3. metricdevilmoto

Sorry John. The one I have in the shop is an 06-07 and it has a SBK subframe. Won't be applicable. Give Nick at Woodcraft a call. He has helped out customers of mine before with mounting the SBK tail support bases on AB bodywork when I had bodywork drop shipped to them.

For what it's worth, here's the 06-07 setup.

Top view of the tail.

[​IMG]

Bottom view.

[​IMG]

The brace on the bodywork rests on the flat surfaces on the subframe where the brace pictured below connects.

[​IMG]

We're going to wait until the rider races the bike to see if it flexes too much for his liking. If it does, we'll use the aluminum brace and drill out the fiberglass one.

[​IMG]

I just had an 08 leave the shop last week with an AB SBK tail. IIRC, it was a very similar setup.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  4. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

I use just two bolts in the back underneath....2nd pic top of the shot

5. John LegionST

Thank you Mike. Just spoke w/ Nick and after fiddling with it more last night I had it correct. Primer side down, front brace on batt, rear on subframe. He said usually people attach it to the tail with rivets like you did but one could also let it float or attach it to the subframe. More experimenting tonight to decide which way I like best.

Any chance you'll be at Roebling? Who is coming down?

6. metricdevilmoto

The team is coming down to Roebling, but with the other guys. ;)

On my R6, I have it mounted to the subframe, not riveted to the tail. User preference. Quality velcro keeps it from rubbing.

7. John LegionST

Thinking that might be how I mount mine too, I like the velcro better than rivets.

Well tell them to stop by and say hi. #35 yellow and black gsxr, trying to park in turn 3. Should be there all weekend.