1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help getting a good launch of the start

Discussion in 'Tech' started by C.R.Gixxer, Jun 6, 2011.

1. C.R.Gixxer

C.R.Gixxer Well-Known Member

I searched the forum and found some good info in this thread http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=58706&highlight=good+launch
    Just wanted to see if anyone could add some more to it? Maybe a vid or links to more info on the subject.
    --I have now realized really how important this is in racing.
    Yesterday I took 4th in my 1st Heat, started with a great launch from 8th on the grid to 4th from the 1st turn and took it all the way to the end.
    2nd Heat crappy start and had to fight the whole race from 11th to take 6th.

Thanks in advance,
    Chuck

2. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I also had a street bike when I raced. Traffic lights were good practice on starts. Many suggest going to a drag strip and practice.

3. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

So many people post videos of their races on youtube that I just watch as many as I can find that include the race start/launch. It's pretty obvious which people are good and those that aren't from the videos. From there its just observing how they did it and trying to duplicate. Otherwise, I've not found any good tutorial information that just spells it out step by step. Going to a drag strip, or any form of practice for that matter, only helps if you have solid understanding of the technique you are trying to perform.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  4. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

I say rpms up, work the clutch to where it starts to pull, get the right foot on the rear brake, and the left foot down.

When it's time to go, ease the clutch out while giving full throttle... Obviously release the rear brake and put yer foot on the peg ASAP to have best balance...

Practice at the drag strip... A night at the drag strip will teach you so much about launches it is not even funny...

Be careful with some of the advise from experience drag racers... Their bikes are lowered, extended and suspension is set different... Just don't flip over your bike...

I saw my buddy who is a drag strip junkie... (Because he can not turn his bike worth of crap!) Tested one of his buddies 2008 Hayabusa... He try to launch the same way as he does it on his CBR1000... Anyways the Busa did a 12 o'clock wheelie and he almost ate it...

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

you would be surprised how LOW the rpm's are on guys that launch well or drag race bikes, especially higher displacement (bikes with wheelie/launch control excluded..).. Feeding clutch and throttle together are the key. 600cc, i like around 7-8k. I have both feet on the ground with the clutch just ever so pulling, pegs kind of pushing on the back of the leg, THREE fingers not two (way more control on feeding the clutch). If you feel a wheelie comin on, STAY IN the gas, but don't feed more clutch. Trying to launch with the clutch ALL the way in (not engaged at all) will require just dumb luck to get a holeshot.
    Full throttle rev limiter launches? please have the video camera ready :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  6. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

That's the best way! Pin it and win it!

Dragstrip is your best bet for experience.

7. got40

got40 On hiatus...

I have the same issue. I decide whether or not my starts are good by how many times I get passed. I'm heading to the drag strip just as soon as I fix this shift fork.

If you go to the drag strip, just make sure to replace your clutch.

8. kiggy74

And keep an eye on your temp gauge, especially if you've removed the fan.

9. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

Temperature issues?

You run the engine for a couple minuter give it all it's got for less than 20 seconds and coast to the back of the line where you wait your turn with the engine off...

I have never had temp issues...

10. kiggy74

^^^More in reference to practicing in a parking lot than doing drag strip runs.

One question though, let's say you hold RPMs at 9K, and then start feeding the clutch, should you try to keep your revs from dropping at all, as in try to maintain 9K rpms?

11. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

On my 600:

Hold 6k. Launch by feeding the clutch as you simultaniously roll on the throttle. It's a good launch when the front floats a few inches from the tarmac up until the clutch is fully engaged but at that point it's usually time for 2nd gear.

12. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

My RSV1000 used to like being launched at 2,000rpm and my GSXR1000 at 6000rpm. Hydraulic clutches on both, they make a difference

13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...