1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!! Fork fluid capacity on a 2005 cbr600rr?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by kanatuna, Apr 18, 2010.

1. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Im doing fork seals and cant seem to find the proper capacity anywhere. Any help?

2. 418

418 Expert #59

Though with RWU forks it still might be capacity, the spec is usually oil level nowadays.

Need a tool to measure this.

3. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Don't fill to measure, fill to air gap.

4. kanatuna

Fluid level....air gap...

OK... I have some nifty ratio cups and some fork oil....how much? lmao

5. BLIZANTHIMUM

BLIZANTHIMUM YURMOM

475cc of oil per leg

6. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

That's secret.

7. kanatuna

not anymore lol

Thanks guy two posts up.

I think I will run a little less than 475cc's though... maybe 430 or so...

8. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

That is volume, not air gap. And it's not the best way to go. Get ahold of a suspension guy or ask on the web for guidelines. GSXR's typically run 125 mm for later models. More or less. Don't know about CBRs. If you drop 40cc of FLUID ( which it sounds like you want to do) you can add 20 MM more of travel, or, in other words, bottom out. Get a figure, it will probably be 115 to 135 mm of air gap, and use that. Nobody who races seriously uses volume, it is not the right way.

9. kanatuna

Well shit... I do all of my own fork seals.... If this is the case then how the hell does a regular guy do their own suspension work? I did look to the web for assistance(HERE! lol) I dont have a "suspension guy". I purchase the parts/supplies I need and I do the job. The only reason I posted on here was because the Honda dealer was closed and I needed to know the capacity. I guess I need to buy another suspension book lol Damn technology.

10. kanatuna

and wouldnt the volume directly affect the air gap in this case? If you add fluid volume, dont you lose air gap?

11. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Yes, it does. But measuring the air gap is an easier and more accurate measurement.

12. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

+1. Airgap is really the only way to get a proper measurement. The fluid capacity numbers are only usefull for finding out how much suspension fluid you need to buy and approx how much to put in each leg before measuring the proper airgap. You'de be better off starting another post asking other '05 CBR600 owners what fluid level measurement they're using and state if it's stock or any internal mods to the forks.:up:

13. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

This might help.

Attached Files:

14. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

bingo Honda says 120mm. That is with fork collapsed and no spring.

15. kanatuna

OK...seriously thanks for the help guys.