1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: Daughter considering enlisting in the Army and it's pissing me off

Discussion in 'General' started by jrsamples, Nov 21, 2019.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

She's 17 years old. She is: super creative (arts), very smart (takes all the more difficult stuff and has never earned less than an A in every subject---lifetime), likes a wide variety of things, specifically -- aviation, tatoos, welding, guitar, painting art, drawing art, photography.

Her boyfriend (~6-8 months) is a good kid, but he ain't the sharpest tool in the shed. Has dyslexia pretty bad, and that has held him back in school because he struggles to read just about anything. HE is joining the Army, plans to mechanic on multi wheel equipment. I'd say it is a pretty good fit for him. I suspect that he's the source for all ideas army...particularly going in enlisted.

She will grad H.S. next spring along with having an associates degree (she's attended middle college the last two years). She's visited two flight schools recently and liked the programs, but always seems to be interested in a "new" job in the Army, magically, after she's spent the next day with the boy. Today, the new job is some type of reporter who gets stories about soldiers in the field and writes about it. Last weeks job was to become an Apache mechanic and then try to get into the Warrant Office program to learn to fly helos. FML, I'm getting tired of this shit.

It is not that I don't want her to join up. It's just that I think that she has better options, plus I am pretty sure the Army would eat her lunch, knowing her weaknesses. I am confident that she could work the route of getting a commission and becoming an aviator that way. I think that she would choose to go to Embry Riddle in AZ, but I'm NOT going to throw $175k at her education.....I have 3 daughters and they all get the same $ in assistance.

What say beeb? Anyone have any advice that I can give her regarding Army or aviation? .......or tatoo artistry, or any other random idea that may emerge today?

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Is honestly gonna make you mad?

Dom17 likes this.
  3. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Have you tried locking her in the basement?

badmoon692008 and MachineR1 like this.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

As with the other “offspring joining the military thread”, always go Air Force, for someone who is female and has potential.

Maybe, her mom can talk to her about how to not let a current companion influence one’s decisions, life, and potential, at such a young age. I made that mistake, during my military career and regret it every day.

Wingnut, SpeedyE, Newyork and 2 others like this.
  5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

She can sign up for 3 or 4 years, learn a skill, and get the GI Bill to assist with her education. If she scores well on her ASVAB, she can get into some pretty high tech jobs (MOS).

G2G, Metalhead and ducnut like this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Next spring is a long long way away for young kids in "love"....

RichB, pscook and Phl218 like this.
  7. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Big time bonuses being offered right now as well for certain jobs along with extra college fund on top of the GI Bill. Perhaps dollars will be more persuasive for her.

ducnut and jrsamples like this.
  8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Troof. I told her this morning, if that's where she thinks she's heading to just go ahead and tie the knot and stop wasting everyone's (my) time.

9. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

You don't know that I'm mad???

10. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

That said, anyone who has the ability to go to school first then join as officer should do that in my opinion. It will be a much different experience. I didn't have that option but wish i had.

11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Based on the past, I think that she would do well on the test. I think she said something about taking the practice test next week. Care to elaborate on MOS or others?

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

This, you can hope she's over the kid soon. Other than that all I can offer is good luck, I've got 2 girls, now 26 & 28. Trying to talk any sense into most teenage girls is like :dead:. I still can't talk any sense into my youngest, after 2 minutes it's a war.

jrsamples likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well yeah, but considering the subject matter involves your daughter's love life, I see a potential for exponential increase in that level of madness. So it's best to ask first.

jrsamples likes this.
  14. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Stole the words from my mouth.

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

She's 17. She's 15 minutes away from a different decision at any moment. This will go on until she is 35.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

:stupid: What she said.

and if she has to join the military, Air Farce first, navy second, army third. Kollege and then the Military.

ducnut likes this.
  17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Are you near an aviation/aerospace hub? If you are, I would reach out to some firms in that field and see if they have some sort of job shadowing program. The whole "women in STEM" thing is huge right now and companies love to post that shit on social media so that they look woke.

See if you can have her shadow a female engineer at one of those places to show her the cool shit you can still do as a civilian and hopefully get her to think bigger picture than her current boyfriend. She's going to have to come to the realization that HS "love" is bullshit and she needs to think longer-term.

ducnut likes this.
  18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

It was supposed to stop at 35?

auminer, dtalbott, 5axis and 3 others like this.
  19. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

If she is a smart one and it shows on her ASVAP, she can qualify for some high level shit and get into Westpoint as an officer.

Have her talk to the Air Force if possible. The Army is great but the AF will better suit creative minds.

Also, she can talk to a recruiter about possible ROTC programs. She will get some FAT checks, earn her BA/BS and enter as an officer.

On the plus side, she wants to enlist to defend our nation. Be proud of that. My daughter is 11 and definitely looks up to me for being in. She tells all her friends about it and it`s something I hold dear to my heart.

jrsamples, YamahaRick and ducnut like this.
  20. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Oh, and not to play Devil's advocate, but my wife and I started dating at 17.

22 years later......