1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[ HELP ] Bike has problems!! 2006 zx-636

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Sulli, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Sulli

Sulli Well-Known Member

Ok my first gear seems to be poppin'?!?! Dunno.. changed the oil seems to still do it... any help guys?! When I throttle on hard or off suddenly it pops like "in and out of gear?!?!" It feels like it is missing?!?! Someone mentioned the clutch someone said the trans... any help?!?! I was showing off some wheelies a couple days ago... showing how to change gears while on one ;)

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks

Sulli

2. russomf

russomf Well-Known Member

so is it popping in or out of gear? if your on the throttle does it pop out then when ou le toff it pops back in? is it only 1st gear of other gears? if it is only 1st then sounds like a tranny or shift star issue. dog eays might be worn, common for shifting while wheeling.

3. Sulli

Sulli Well-Known Member

it is only while in first... when I throttle up it sometimes feels like it catches... also feels like it is timed perfectly like a tooth maybe?!?It ranomdly just stops pulling then starts again.. does it worse when I let off the throttle...

would this be under the warranty?! I had it transferred to my name when I got the bike, I got all the stock plastics and can take the cage off.... been riding it naked...

What do I need to fix it and how much $$ am I looking at?

4. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

So you've been stunting the bike, and now it sounds like you are having tranny problems cost of repair depending on damage could cost 1200.00-1900.00

5. sideways_skinny

sideways_skinny i need about, tree-fitty

check your chain slack, and also the condition of the sprockets. make sure the axle is torqued, and doesnt move while you ride. if everything is fine there, youre looking at pulling the cases apart, which = $$$$.

if you were using the bike to stunt, then it most definitely will not be a warranty issue. kawasaki will fight you til you give up!

6. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

It's kawa's secret anti-gravity magnets kicking in....

7. Sulli

Sulli Well-Known Member

Ok I was just riding he bike around town.. who mentioned stunting?! but wouldit be covered?!

8. Tunersricebowl

Your bike in all probibility has damaged trans gears and fork/s which have to be replaced to cure the symptoms.
    Popping a wheelie is one thing but shifting gears during a wheelie presents the opportunity to damage the transmission if not done with skill and care.
    FWIW, it ain't the wheelie, it's shifting without the clutch or fanning the clutch with the throttle pinned OR releasing the clutch lever and opening the throttle (or holding it open) BEFORE the trans gears have completed the "shift" function movenent, which chips or rounds the ends of the gear's "dogs".
    No possibility of a warranty.
    You can send the trans out to a trans race prep shop (once the engine is torn down) and have the gears repaired and undercut which will help prevent the problem from happening again, or at least make it last longer under conditions of abuse or mis-use.

9. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

Rounded Dawgs...

10. Sulli

Sulli Well-Known Member

sob... hehe only had the bike two months...

So... this couldn' somehow fall under the warranty...

I was just riding her on the hills ;) hehehe

About to talk to the local dealer... ;/

11. sideways_skinny

sideways_skinny i need about, tree-fitty

find a bunch of dumb people at a dumb dealership. the smart ones will know what you were really doing, even if you dont tell them...

12. Sulli

Sulli Well-Known Member

someone mentioned having the gears undercut?! Anyone in th south say like GA,AL,TN,KY area that could do that?!

What am I looking at $$$?

13. Tunersricebowl

Best place in the nation IMHO is R+D performance out of Florida.
    They are a trans ONLY shop and have in house heat treat equip.
    I've used them for more than a decade and they are top notch, none better.
    BTW, you have to send the gears, not the engine.
    Cost depends on how fast you want to go, but prices start at $150/$250.
    Good news is that they use your old gears if they are not cracked, and YES they do check all gears for hidden flaws.

14. Sulli

Sulli Well-Known Member

Tuner, thanks man for all the help!

Ok tell me what you think I should do...

I want to keep riding as ong as weather permits... thinking of holding out another month then breaking the motor down..

I dunno...

15. Tunersricebowl

As long as the gear/s in question are not popping in and out, then you can ride it forever.
    So, ease up on the throttle and make deliberate shift/s to get to the gears that will stand up to the load you place on them.
    I had an XS11 (yeah, I know) in 1980 that had a lame 1/2 gearset which would NOT stay in gear.
    I rode around it for years going back and forth to work everyday.
    When I got around to tearing it down to hot rod it no further damage had been done.