1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone gone car free?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dits, Dec 6, 2017.

1. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Have an option that is better than that in the stable now. That thing wouldn't do well as a commuter.

Attached Files:

• sled.jpg
      sled.jpg
      File size:
      326.8 KB
      Views:
    Canadian Bacon likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What happens when they both need their vehicles?

Granted in your case I'd ditch the vehicle with payment and buy something used for cash that was there as a backup - or a streetbike and some rain gear. I really only have the Ho because it goes to the track and we use it for other trips and the pups. My commute is 1.5 miles and if that's all I did I'd be on the bike or the like.

3. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

We have often been a one car family. Going the beater route gets more difficult and into the 5k range while you have young children. Once mine are as old as yours I won't need car seat harnesses and I can go back to owning older cooler vehicles. Being a one car family IS easier when you have that other two wheel street ride for yourself. Rain can be mitigated but you will look like a goober.

4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

A lawyer with a beater is cool :
    [​IMG]

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  5. I’m pretty sure mines out of the car class.

6. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I can't imagine this would come up very often. Jen rarely leaves her office for work (which is one block from my office.) Kids rarely "need" a vehicle... more a matter of want. I suppose in the very rare circumstance of all four of us needing to be out of town at the same time, I could rent or borrow something. It would surely be cheaper.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah okay - so she doesn't necessarily need it to commute either, that's a big difference right there.

8. Dits

Ended up on middle ground and bought an $8,000.00 2013 Ford Focus. No mas payments.

joec likes this.
  9. 418

418 Expert #59

Sexy.

10. Dits

I feel gay.

BigBird and joec like this.
  11. 418

418 Expert #59

Meh.

It could be a Fiat 500.

Then you wouldn't just feel gay.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. Dits

Now I feel a little better.

13. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

So not much changed huh?

joec and noles19 like this.
  14. Dits

I sent you a Samoan man-hug today. Did you feel it?

joec and SmokeSignalRT like this.
  15. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Been on the mrmoneymustache forum?

16. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Damn. I think you'd of retained more clout with the Zuma or a Leaf, atleast then you'd be sticking it to the gas cartel, but you'll trade the ford for something stupid cool and impractical by the end of 2018 so it's fine.

BigBird likes this.
  17. Dits

I know me and you’re probably right.

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I’d do it in a second if I lived somewhere you didn’t need a car. I hate dealing with cars. I live in Pasadena, CA. It’s possible to ditch a car if you don’t have to go anywhere crazy far. Services are dense, many areas are walkable and public transportation is pretty good. You can also get around by bicycle easy. When I worked downtown I’d take the train every day. If you don’t have young kids or need to go a bunch of different places during the day, I think you can pull it off. Uber and whatnot can make up the gap on the occasions you need a vehicle. Depends where you’re at though. If I were in NY, SF, or Chicago I wouldn’t own a car.

19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Would be impossible for me. Sounds appealing thouth.

20. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

How the hell is one supposed to get to the racetrack then?

badmoon692008 and zertrider like this.