1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone gone car free?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dits, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I’ve been considering this.

I live three blocks from my office as does the wife. I walk everywhere. Wife has a brand new truck. My kids have another truck as well as a scooter. My vehicle costs me $600 a month between loan payments and insurance. It seems pointless to have another vehicle. Maybe get a scoot?

So who has gone Amish?

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Well, my personal vehicle is sitting at home, one tire flat, no tags, no insurance.

Does that count?

badmoon692008, Dits and 418 like this.
  3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Wife won’t let me :(
    Would in a heartbeat.

What is you have to go to court and it’s raining?

4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I would do it if I could. three blocks, I would walk, skateboard, bike or zuma all the time. At most I would have a beater car. One that cost $5k or less, liability only that I wouldn't feel bad if it sat there and wasted away. Only use it when the weather was really bad.

5. 418

418 Expert #59

I drive to the yard and back with mine. There is cobwebs on the dash. Lol

ToofPic likes this.
  6. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Hey dits, managed 8 years with out a car. But there were lots of boat rental cars in between. The choice is yours. But riding on the street now even on a scooter, is scary with 16 year old girls and cell phones! Maybe a nice ebike, peddle if you want exercise, push a button if you don't. Planing a fishing trip in March, definitly Costa or Panama. Didn't you fish in costa?

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Gonna sell the Ferrari huh

BigBird likes this.
  8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

This seems more expensive than a truck payment...

[​IMG]

TurboBlew and t11ravis like this.
  9. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I did for about 6 months. Campus was 2 blocks in one direction, grocery store and shopping center were 4 blocks in the opposite direction. I worked part-time across town, but a house-mate worked at the same place and hours, so I rode with him.

I did have my BSA for the odd running around, though. :D

10. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Dump the ride, try it for 6 months, see how it goes. I went a year once, but it was when I moved back to England. Pretty easy to do over there. We could do it where we're at now in Mt Dora once the kids are grown I think, but still would need one vehicle. Maybe just the one though. On a big simplifying kick right now so this is on the mind.

11. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Guatemala.

If I have court out of town I can take the kids truck or the wife’s. That probably happens three times a month.

12. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Was it pretty much just sailfish which they are famous for? Looking for a little offshore billfish/ yellowfins and more interested in catching and releasing large roosterfish.

13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yep, been carefree for years. Footloose too.

GixxerBlade and Captain Morgan like this.
  14. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Damn. $5k gets you something with working heat and AC, and made this century.

That's an upscale beater.

badmoon692008 and t500racer like this.
  15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Between a motorcycle, a bicycle and Uber its probably alot easier than I think.

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Ive been meep meeping around the past few years. Every time I ride my scooter to Daytona... someone takes off on it. :D
    I put a super loud horn on it for giggles.

17. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Get rid of the car payment vehicle and get yourself a reliable beater that can sit there for months a time with a battery tender on it.

18. I'm car free. We have an Acadia, Jeep and a 4Runner.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  19. Also a Zuma and "street legalish" dirt bike.

20. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Ruckus and a plated yzf250x