1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone ever seen a Moto Czysz for sale?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Sep 20, 2020.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Curious how many were made and where they are now? A brilliant bike, IMHO.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

3. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

No I haven’t , but wasn’t there a dealer up in the pnw that bought a bunch of their excess stuff . I seem to remember a thread or pics of a bunch of nos parts sitting in boxes .

motion likes this.
  4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MotoCzysz#Production

"As of mid-2010, MotoCzysz was offering to take down payments towards 50 MotoGP replica bikes offered for $100,000.[12] A production date was unspecified."

I'm kind of thinking it maybe never happened? Although he would have needed some sort of capital to fund the E1pc effort. Maybe just a few of the prototypes floating around?

6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Other than the electric bikes, nothing was ever released to the public. I had a friend that worked for him.
    He tested frequently at PIR in the 2008-2012 time frame.
    When he switched to the electric bike (debut at 2011 IOM TT) he switched focus to the E-Bikes.

Also, the MotoGP rules switch really hurt his development. A one team shop couldn't keep up with the rule changes (and follow on impact to motor design) like the factories.

He was a fairly talented engineer with a good group around him.

7. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

The sutter 500 is the better option now for sure.

8. Jedb

I had a lengthy exchange with him about this.
    Ultimately, the "pre-sales" was to get an estimate of revenue potential so he could present that "demand set" to his financiers.

Never went into production, and ~2010/2011 switched focus to the e-bike.

motion and vizsladog like this.
  9. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I dont think any exist outside of a test mule or two. I believe they were having issues with the engines and couldn't line up any buyers.

RIP Michael Czysz

MachineR1 and motion like this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

RIP, an innovator gone before his time

Brian_J likes this.
  11. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I was shown some information that a local company was provided, in order to bid on machining/assembly of certain items. After seeing the numbers/projections, I just shook my head.

motion likes this.
  12. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Saw a bunch of parts and a motor from one at Portland Ducati in the used bike building. Pretty neat stuff.

The_R1_Kid and motion like this.
  13. Jedb

Arun (manager of Motocorsa) was knew Czysz pretty well at the time.
    It would be interesting to run the patents and see if they are still valid, or if the technology got sold by his company/estate.

IMO, he missed the opportunity to license his patented front shock/suspension system to Honda (they came and looked at his designs).
    That could have provided the funding for his other projects.

Again, my view is from an outsider's perspective, not someone inside the design/build/machining side of things.

motion likes this.
  14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Didn't know he had the opportunity to do that. That's pretty impressive. He was such a nice guy when I met him at the NYC bike show.

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I met him there too I want to say back in 2005 or 6? He had one of the earlier C1 prototypes on display.

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Czysz was a genius. How you could dream up that many concepts is beyond me, let alone put them into production.

Some of it was too much. I don’t think that engine could ever produce motogp power with all those parts, but the steering had to be ridiculous. Whether or not it could have made it to the grid, the engineering is otherworldly.

17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Of all the unique ideas, the fork seemed to have the most promise. Seemed like an awesome concept.

18. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Definitely a visionary man and so inspiring that he'd actually gone through to see those visions into actual ridable bikes. The general engine/chassis layout from an engineering perspective though didn't make any sense. Two crankshafts counter rotating to eliminate gyroscopic forces? If anything a standard engine configuration with a reverse rotation crankshaft is a better and easier alternative.

Also running a longitudinal engine is horrible for weight distribution and swingarm length, but certainly has benefits in the aerodynamic department regarding frontal area.

His designs were exciting and so very out of the box. Loved them all. It's such a shame he's not here to continue it.

19. ton

ton Arf!

best i can tell, they've all expired for failing to pay maintenance fees (and would have expired in the next 3-5 years anyway). and i don't see any that were licensed or assigned by the estate.

https://patents.google.com/?q=(czysz)&assignee=Michael+Czysz

20. Jedb

So, free intellectual property. . .