1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harley Street Glide- School Me

Discussion in 'General' started by tony 340, Apr 22, 2015.

1. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Anybody here own a Street Glide and have any advice?

I'm about to switch bikes for something newer and always wanted a street glide.

What's a fair price on a new one?

Should I get a nicer used one?

thanks

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

you lost me at Harley

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Best looking bike they make. Too bad it's a Harley though. :D Just curious have you looked at Kawi's Vaquero? Looks way better in person imo.

4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

No, but I'm kinda set on a Harley Street Glide.

Never had one.

5. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Harley touring bikes are great bikes to put some miles on. Street Glide is a good one, I prefer the suspension on the road king as it sits up higher but it doesn't have all the goodies. Lose the cat with a full exhaust to get rid of some heat and go enjoy it. Cool bike that handles and stops far far better than most non Harley guys realize. Which is always the biggest knock against them. They make 75-80 hp and 100 ft lbs everywhere in the rev range with an exhaust and K&N. Hold their value very well. Go for it.

6. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law just bought a used one. Pretty sharp looking as far as Harleys go. I think he paid $16k to $17k for it; I believe it's an '11.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

100 ft lbs?? Why cant HD put at least one bike in the model line on a serious curb weight diet? My buddys road king takes up a whole parking space.
    Not even going to mention how much storage space he has for sundry items... but no extra room to carry some sneakers or flip flops. :D Reminded me of a womans purse

8. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Street glide is a nice bike. I've taken my friends on a couple longer trips with my wife and we both loved it. Pricey son of bitch for what it is but very nice to ride down the highway and listen to some music and bar hop on.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Road Glide - for when you want everyone to know that you're a fan of Godsmack.

Seriously, I think everyone of those bikes comes with a Godsmack CD stuck in the stereo and the volume knob broken off at full volume.

10. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Sometimes I hold a part in my hand from one and wonder how they got it to weigh that much :D

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I can help you.

The Street Glide is heavy, has an underbuilt and flexible chassis, lacks horsepower, has horrible brakes, under-dampened and largely nonadjustable suspension, confusing geometry, notchy transmission with the wrong ratios, an inefficient belt drive, and poor fuel economy.

But it looks pretty, and if you just invest another $10k or so, you can cure some of the shortcomings and make it really loud.

If you'd like my review of other Harley models, simply remove "Street Glide", and insert the model of your choice. :D

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

:up:

HARLEY WAS HERE!
    [​IMG]

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

can you point me to the nearest retail establishment where I can purchase officially licensed "Motor clothes™" so I can look the part?
    Where can I get one of them cool leather patch vests that has my Starbucks order already embroidered on the front VML2SNFM and other long acronyms like DILLIGAF, to let the "citizens" know I don't care what they think. :Poke: :D

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

In reality the touring frame, engine mounts, swing-arm and triple clamps among other items we all redesigned starting with model year 2009.

It actually is a pretty decent motorcycle that does handle well. It is a little under sprung but can be fixed with new springs/shock etc.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Just like others have said, it is an awesome bike to ride. If you get used make sure it is 2009 or newer as these have the redesigned frame. The 2010 models did have some compensator issues but I think they have this figured out now. Also get new pipes and fuel management system or ecm re-flash.

16. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I've never been a Harley fan of anything they build, but if I were to buy a Harley (which I'm not), it would be the Street Glide. To me, it's the best looking Harley bagger of the group.

17. I've ridden one and I absolutely hated it. It was heavy, slow and handled awful. I just couldn't find a damn thing I liked about it. It was a 10 or 11.

18. A79Fan

A79Fan Member

I have a Streetglide. Mine is a 2007. If you buy one as a few others have said you want 2009 or newer. They improved the frame, and it will help the resale. I would also suggest that you test ride a Streetglide and a road glide. Some don't like the looks of the road glide but in truth they ride better. The fairing is mounted to the bike not the handlebars so you don't get a buffeting in wind etc. the difference is noticeable. Not that a Streetglide is bad by any means. Also don't let anyone tell you they are junk etc. I raced motorcycles for most of my life and then other forms of racing. I'm 36 and I enjoy the hell out of my bike. It's all about what you want to do on it. And in 8 years mine hasn't leaked a drop of oil.

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

You guys can rag on Harleys all you want, but I ride an Electraglide daily for work and it's a very comfortable bike that is very easy to ride. Yes it weighs a ton but the weight is low and the bike is well balanced and very maneuverable at city speeds. It's not fast and the brakes aren't great, but at the end of a 10 hour shift, I can climb off of it without feeling like I was beaten with a baseball bat.

20. MrOgle

MrOgle I love college!

Have you considered an Indian Chieftain?