1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harley Parts

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Sep 29, 2020.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Cringing asking this question here... does anyone have a hook up / discount on factory Harly parts? :)

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Curious myself, and I'll have to admit that I'm loving this first Harley that I've ever owned. My son even cracked a smile when he was home last week after riding it, and he was embarrassed for me that I bought one.

So far I get all consumables at the dealer, and aftermarket stuff from J&P Cycles. I've replaced all the controls and put new shocks on it, but other than that it runs like a Timex.

3. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Have you tried the sides of the road? I hear the best hunting is close to bars.

I’ve got to give them some credit though, reliability has come a long way. I recently read that 85% of all Harleys made are still on the road today...

...the other 15% were lucky enough to make it all the way home.

4. 72westie

72westie Well-Known Member

Ronnie's HD has a nice online diagrams. HD has made it hard to get discounts online. Try your local dealer? I can get 10% off from our local guy, but that's it

5. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

In my experience it is difficult if not impossible to get a cousin deal on H-D hard parts.
    Most parts you would need can be found from aftermarket vendors, I bought a complete gear set from Jim's, gaskets from James are at least as good as the H-D part. If you have the part number do a google search for it and aftermarket suppliers will show up in the results. As mentioned, J&P are great source too.

My 2010 Ultra just turned over to 100k miles, I haven't had anything go wrong with it except the transmission main bearing ate itself early on. Completely self induced on my part for not using the right gear oil and not understanding how to install the inner primary bearing. Me being me, I decided since I had the whole transmission apart why not replace all of it...

6. grasshopper

I just caved and bought direct from the dealer by my house. Fuck it. I needed front brake rotors, bolts and pads. It was a deal I had to fulfill bartering with a buddy. He did some bodywork on my van and he said fix my Harley in exchange. The front rotors somehow got fucked up either changing a tire one day and / or from a minor lowside crash. Okay. Done. 350 bucks in parts

7. rd400racer

I put the EBC Double H Sintered on my Sportster, stops like a beast now.

8. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Try Utah Harley Davidson or Big Sky Harley Davidson.

I’ve gotten some parts from Utah Harley, better prices than many.

9. intrcptrrdr

@grasshopper; that's not bad for rotors. Though I don't use the Harley parts, right after I bought this bike, used, I had one of the rotors warp on me. Maybe I was trail braking too much? More likely I bent it changing the tire. I have replaced all three with the EBC full floating rotor. they are holding up well enough.

10. grasshopper

The parts have already been purchased. I asked on facebook last week or the week before and pretty much got the same response here about any kind of discount on parts. Nothing... Nada. My buddy wanted OEM harley parts. I wasn't going to argue with him because he has done so much work on our cars for us. Good family friend.

11. intrcptrrdr

H-D hard parts aren't junk and they always fit.

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Where is Garth? He's got a hookup I'm thinkin'.

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Now that you mention it, he hasn't posted in a few weeks. Did he get banned again ?

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He briefly reappeared after that bizarre outburst, and then he was gone again.

No time for non-political forums right now. :D

15. rd400racer

FWIW...went into the Harley dealer this morning to purchase a windshield for $370. I was taking the money out of my pocket and she asks, "are you a veteran?" Why yes mam, I sure am. Instant 10% off my purchase. On top of that, the day before she pulled out this fancy windshield device they have which allows you to see what will work perfectly with your particular bike and style of riding. People may give Harley crap for, well, being Harley; but in the short time I've owned one I can see why they attract such loyalty.

Sabre699 likes this.
  16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

A $370 windshield? Wow.

17. rd400racer

18. grasshopper

So after what seemed like I exhausted all of my resources to get a deal on parts I walked into Chi Town Harley today at lunch to get my parts and run into a buddy I know. He's a mechanic at the dealer. This is after I bought the parts by the way. I'm walking out shooting the shit with him and goes "Dude, next time you need parts let me know I can get you a deal". I'm like YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!! LMFAO!!!

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Those are often the best buddies. :D

20. grasshopper

Well Duhrrrr.... Don't really know him very well. Friend of a friend. Oh well. Next time