1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardwired non-cloud security cameras

Discussion in 'General' started by The, Jan 10, 2021.

1. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

I need some recommendations on a stand alone camera and dvr security system that is not connected to the internet. Just basic system with 4 cameras.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

amcrest.
    Totally scalable.
    Was gona pull the trigger on some arlo ones til a friend showed me the amcrest stuff. Thought running cat 5 was gona be a pain but just the opposite.

3. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

I've had the Samsung 8 camera setup for a few years. Got it at Sam's Club for like $300. It does the job very well and uses the Wisenet app, which is ok. The cameras are hardwired and all storage is on the DVR. Each camera comes with a 50' cable, which is long enough to cover all four corners of my home. Unfortunately, I believe they no longer sell that brand.

4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Make it easy on yourself. Buy a kit system with cams and NVR. Amazon has dozens of systems on offer.

R1M370 and BigBird like this.
  5. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Amcrest and Riolink seem to be the most popular. If you get an NVR (network video recorder) with POE (power over ethernet) cameras, it allows you to only have to run ethernet cables to the cameras and the NVR should do everything you want. The biggest plus with going with one of the popular brands is a bigger selection of supported cameras, a bit of support (even if community support) and a large array of available cameras.

BigBird likes this.
  6. ____Kurt____

____Kurt____ Active Member

I went with the lorex system. Its POE so only pulling one cable per camera. Do yourself a favor if you go this route and buy a box of cat5/cat6 cable and the rj45 connectors and crimp tool so you can make all the cables to the proper length.

beac83 likes this.
  7. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

How long can you run cat5/6 and can you do direct burial? I've been wanting to get a system here for a while

8. beac83

The maximum cable length for Cat5e/Cat6 is 328 ft, if installed perfectly.
    I'd limit runs to less than 300ft to allow for minor errors in cable installation.
    If you need longer runs, you can use multi-mode fiber which you can purchase in pre-built lengths to order. That would need to be installed in duct or conduit if outside. A media converter (fiber to copper) and local POE injector would be needed with fiber.

Perfect installation involves no kinks, crimps to or sharp twists in cable, and observing the minimum bend radius for the cable (typically around 3-4 inches). Also no tight cable ties that crimp the cable jacket.

Direct burial cable in Cat5E and Cat6 is available. It uses a heavier jacket, has gel filling the internal spaces to keep water incursion out, and typically is shielded to limit damage from nearby lightning strikes and power line current induction.
    Direct burial cable is available from places like L-Com : https://www.l-com.com/search?keywords=cat5+direct+burial&view_type=grid
    or Markertek: https://audio-video-supply.markertek.com/search?w=cat5+direct+burial&sitepref=1

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Fair warning to anyone getting UG twisted pair wire: it sucks to work with once you cut the jacket and the goo oozes out. Have a roll of paper towel at the ready so you can actually get a grip on the damn wire!

beac83 likes this.
  10. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I have a 16 color camera samsung system

Net capable to view remotely, but everything is saved on the hard drive.

With the highest video quality and my size hard drive, I get about 8 days of constant record before overwrite begins. If I set to motion record only it lasts for months

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh, and one more thing: underground rated cabling is still needed even if you run in conduit. The riser and plenum jacketing of CL-6 rated wiring is not water impenetrable, and conduits ALL leak.

beac83 likes this.
  12. beac83

I was going to let them find that out by experience. It is messy and a PITA to terminate. :beer:

Another pro tip: Use the EZ-RJ45 connectors and a crimp tool designed for them. Much easier to get the wires in the correct slots of the connector.
    Always use 568B wiring order on both ends of the cable.

A cheap network cable tester will help you diagnose bad crimps and terminations that will have you pulling your hair out without one.

13. Dan Dubeau

Thanks for the info. I've got a 350' run out to the barn, so I might have to look into something different for out there, maybe a separate system. The rest I'd like to add are all within 100'.

14. beac83

If you have another out-building in between, you can chain two runs with an Ethernet Switch in the middle in the intermediate out-building. Each individual cable segment cannot exceed the 328 ft (its both a data timing and data quality on the wire) limitation. You can use a switch at the end of the length, and have another 328 ft length.

There are POE driven switches and cabinets for outdoor use (unifi) for this type of extension that would allow a post-mounted outdoor extension switch. Or go fiber.
    Wireless links for that distance are also feasible if there are no trees or other obstructions in the line-of-sight path.

In either case, you would need local power for the cam at the barn.

15. Dan Dubeau

Yeah there's power at the barn, there's also another outbuilding about 200' away (somewhat in between forming a triangle) that I wouldn't mind hanging a camera on too. It also has power. From there to the barn is about 200' also so it would work to put a switch in the middle. Thanks again for the info Beac, sorry to hijack your thread Leroy Brown.

16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

House <---200--->Outbuilding with ethernet switch<--200ish---Barn--|