1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handicapped Stand your ground

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Robby-Bobby, Jul 25, 2018.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

He was just a harmless migrant, trying to migrate to her house for a better life.

2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

To bad there wasn’t more gun control that poor guy would be safe and richer.

3. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

For all those who care about women and equality, THAT is how you make them equal.

4. ton

ton Arf!

5. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Of course they do.

Glad this guy will get punished. I’m all for gun rights and having the ability to defend yourself, but not as an excuse to be a vigilante and killing somebody when they call you out for being an asshole.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  6. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I speculate the step back convicted him along with public outrage. I still wonder if he was stepping back to get a better kick or was retreating, will never know the truth.

7. charles

charles The Transporter

I understand what you're writing here, but how did you factor in the physical assault on Drejka? Was he in fear of something worse than that one physical shove? Well, I suppose he was just too eager to shoot, and a jury considered everything it could.

8. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

My guess is the physical assault is what got him manslaughter instead of murder.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  9. charles

charles The Transporter

That, and the politics involved...so, what kind of a severe heavy duty beatdown do we have to endure before we save ourselves from ending up in the ER?

10. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

That is the sad thing about justice, your question cant we answered. The exact same case tried the exact same way in front of a different 12 people could have a totally different outcome.

I dont know if this was a justified shoot or not. Not sure I would have pulled the trigger that early but it wouldn't have been much longer.

Sad for both men for sure.

11. charles

charles The Transporter

Well I suppose then we have to be bleeding heavily from all body openings, perhaps seconds away from drawing a last breath, before we can squeeze off a round in order to satisfy an incumbent prosecutor, even in a 'stand your ground' jurisdiction...

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I would guess this would have to do with who started the fight. You shouldn’t be able to pick a fight, then when you’re getting your ass whooped, shoot somebody and claim self defense and walk.

13. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Y'all were saying???

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I thing I was straddling the line on this one. My last post seems to contradict the one you just quoted:crackup:

code3ryder likes this.
  15. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

And ?

16. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

This. I believe the FL law states that the shooter cannot have instigated the altercation.

17. charles

charles The Transporter

I just did a quick read of the applicable FL statutes, and I just do not see anything about any 'instigation of an altercation' that would serve to negate the immunity and serve to initiate prosecution.
    I hope there is a successful Appeal.

XFBO likes this.
  18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

He didn't start the fight with the person he shot.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But he did initiate the overall confrontation. If a guy walks up to your daughter and starts screaming at your wife (ignoring you) and you deck him, ego started the altercation?

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don’t think there are going to be too many laws with a “who started it” clause. Technically everyone involved in a fight is guilty of assault and battery. It’s usually the winner that gets charged.