1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hand injuries

Discussion in 'General' started by crashman, Apr 11, 2021.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Anyone ever have an A2 pulley injury. I have somehow managed to pop tendons on one finger on each hand and am currently scheduled for surgery. Apparently it is bad enough that there are no non surgical solutions to get everything back to working properly. Ortho said 4 weeks down and 10-12 weeks before things will feel better and I was hoping someone here can relay how their surgery / recovery went.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Really? You thought you needed both hands on Lil' Crashman?

Sounds like a pain in the butt. I hope it all goes smoothly and you fully recover.

3. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

That's a really strange injury to both hands... Are there any recreational/work related repetitive motions with your hands requiring a significant amount of force. I don't know anything about that injury but a WAG at it would start me asking questions there.

4. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

I have had two tendons pop, cut, severed on my right (dominant) hand 17 years apart. the right thumb tendon ruptured 6 weeks after a severe wrist injury, in 2001 (plates and screws). due to the swelling cutting supply from the tendon.

fortunately, the index fingers, and pinky fingers, have two operating tendons, and only really need one for most functions.

for the orginal thumb repair, they moved one index finger tendon, from the finger next to the damaged thumb, and re-attached to the thumb, to get me functioning. worked well, still does.

2 years ago one of the screws, in my plate broke, and cut the remaining index finger tendon. big surgery to remove some but, not all hardware, and wrap tendons to protect for possible future events. this time they borrowed a portion of the middle finger tendon, to give me as much mobility, dexterity as they could, for both fingers. I told them I need to be able to reach up and grab the front brake lever, on a bike with my index. the doc was able to get that for me.

dexterity from the second surgery, is not as good as oem, nor the first thumb tendon fix. i can grab the brakes but, because of tightening the tendon to get my up reach, I cant push down gently with the index so, I had to teach myself to use the computer mouse left click button, with the middle finger (index sits up too high).

also... I cant "flip the bird" very well on that hand any longer.

rehab is SLOW... if you mess it up, push and rupture it during healing, you may not get a second chance for repairs due to tendons not being recoverable, re-used. great physical therapists are your friend. find one that will help but, wont hurt, or hold you back. dont rush the healing, mobility, dexterity portion of your recovery.

sounds like the A2 pulley is a "climbing" associated injury. mine were both deep in the hand, not out on the finger tip. both of mine ruptured nearest the wrist.

sorry to hear about your injury. good luck, keep us posted. Ski

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I popped A4 while rock climbing but didn’t need surgery. I wore a plastic ring or taped it for a month. A2 is a much more serious injury. I hope it all works out.

IMO, do your PT and don’t let the injury sit still once you are cleared to move it. Laziness and lack of motion is how things scar over and lock up.

6. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:Ya, it takes both hands to control that monster.:D Thanks for the good wishes.

My left hand was pulling on a wrench in a messed up spot where I could only get one finger on it. The right was rock climbing with my daughter after Christmas and showing her that the old man still had it.:oops: But one of the first questions I asked my ortho was if it was potentially something hereditary and if I would have to worry about other fingers. Based on his exam and the MRI he said he did not believe so. I guess we will see.

8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ya, from what I was told most A4's can be dealt with by splinting but the A2's almost always need surgery. Lucky me... The only good thing is I will be getting extra time off on medical leave for recovery.

Thanks. I will probably be playing video games and beebing for at least a month so I should have time for updates. Sounds like yours was much more serious. Apparently for this they harvest a tendon from the wrist to wrap around the finger to reconstruct the pulley. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) I do have a good physical therapist that I have worked with a few times. I am sure my Goddess of Pain will enjoy making me cry some more.:crackup:

9. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Explains the free time!