1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hackers have my password emails

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jan 6, 2019.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I’ve received a bunch of these over the past several weeks. Weird thing is, they actually do have my passwords in two instances. These are non-random unique passwords that are impossible to guess. Anyone else seen these? They want bitcoin payments and are threatening to unlock malware on my computer. Not worried, but a little disconcerted.

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

motion likes this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Your computer has the cooties?

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

It’s a Mac if that helps.

5. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Bosco

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Then they are trolling. Don't click the link and you'll be okay.

and change your passwords as a just in case.

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

How can it be trolling if they have two of my unique passwords?

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Do they actually have them? Cooties if they do and the old Mac argument doesn't really hold water anymore.

stk0308, K51000 and beac83 like this.
  9. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

It’s trolling... I get 2 to 3 a week, even on accounts of employees that we’ve fired. Ignore them. Change your passwords if you want.

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

They sure do. I’ll try to do a scan later tonight.

11. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

And don't use that machine for anything private until you find the malware.

Change the password on your home router as well, and re-load the firmware.

Other means of access are anything connected to your home network - cams, tv, appliances, portable devices, wifi passphrase, etc. Change passwords and/or re-load firmware on all of them.

BigBird, motion and 5axis like this.
  12. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

From one of the multitude of data breaches on sites you clearly used. Most breaches involved exfiltration of clear text passwords, which are then sold on the dark web to be used in phishing attacks (among other things), like the one they used against you.

Reset your passwords on the sites where you used those passwords then mark the emails your getting as spam and disregard. This is a common scheme.

BigBird and Funkm05 like this.
  13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

That’s what I’m thinking. There doesn’t seem to be any relationship between the passwords they have and my accounts. If they knew which accounts I have along with user name and those passwords, they would’ve already done serious damage to me.

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

To clarify, if I had a virus that was actually key logging, I would definitely know within a few minutes.

15. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Go here and plug your email account in: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Chances are one of the breaches that come up under your email address is one where those passwords were used.

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Cool, thanks. Every email address I plug-in comes back positive.

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

If you had ransomeware on the PC it would have locked your files of interest already.....then you pay them to get them released.

cajun636, BigBird and motion like this.
  18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

A Malwarebytes scan came up empty, so my Mac is good. Has to be a data breach, probably from Adobe.

19. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Seems to me, you enter your email address there, just another spammy/malware site.
    I remember the sites that would ask you to run a free scan of your 'puter. Then come up with dozens of 'viruses and malware' and then want you to pay to have them removed. Total scam.

How do you KNOW this site's legit? Or any site for that matter- they all sell address, data, logs, etc.
    I'm NO expert- just my 2 cents.

20. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

It’s legit. https://www.troyhunt.com/the-legitimisation-of-have-i-been-pwned/
    It’s saved my ass on several breaches.