1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guzzi class

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by guzziguy, Jan 28, 2012.

1. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

Hi I was looking to see what class my 1979 850 lemans would qualify for and the wording is abit confusing. V4 says twins up to 1000cc and then specifically calls out pre 74 1000, so does that exclude post 74? mines an 850 anyway but it is not a small block either so i thought I'd better ask. I e-mailed but didn't get a response. Someone out there must have already done this.
    Thanks

2. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

I'd agree with the V4 going by the other bikes in the class like the BMW R100 and big Duc Bevels. I'd say the rule needs some clarifying for Guzzis as far as frame types Tonti vs loop for the years eligible. Pre 1974 1000? -there weren't any.

Mark

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Stephen Brenton used to race a Guzzi with WERA....I cant remember V3 or V4. I'll ping him to this thread.

4. Norton#357

Norton#357 Well-Known Member

Mike Tiberio won several V4 national championships in the late '80s early '90s on a big block Guzzi. It seems like it should still be legal in V4.

5. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Stephen raced a 750 in V3.

6. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

guzzi

thanks guys, i guess I'll try for v4

7. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

"Pre 1974 4-stroke push-rod up to 750cc" would let in the V7 Sport which is a Tonti frame like all of the later big block bikes. I suppose you could sleeve down an 850 to the 750 limit (or use Ambassador jugs) to get in, since the frames are all alike.
    But you're gonna be against some fast Triumphs and stuff....
    Yeah, V4 fore the bigger bores.

Mark

8. was92v

was92v Active Member

Who won the 97' V3 Championship on a Guzzi? I can't remember his name right now, but a Very fast bike out of NY.

I only remember who finished second, 6 points behind him... damn it.

9. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Steven Von Borstal

10. was92v

was92v Active Member

That's right, thanks for the refresh.