1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guess the ATF is not all bad....

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Tdub, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

2. six6two

six6two AWD

How the hell is that not a SBR?:confused:

I'm getting one. :D

3. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

Ssshhhhh no questions!:Poke::D

4. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Just finished mine yesterday. 10.5".
    [​IMG]

5. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

It definitely makes the AR-Pistol much more useful.

6. June-yer

June-yer Well-Known Member

SOB. I predict that this will cost more than one person a lot of money, jail time, or both.

What ever happened to the guy who went to prison because his AR sometimes malfunctioned and cooked off two rounds with one pull of the trigger? I am pretty sure that it was shown that it was a non molested AR trigger group and not an M16 system.

7. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

He got convicted because he had known the gun doubled, tripled occasionally and had told many people about it for some time....he knew the gun was malfunctioning and just kept shooting it.
    That was his downfall.

A worn disconnector hook, will allow it to disengage from the hammer, from the impact of the bolt going into battery, letting the hammer fall after the gun has chambered a new round (not slam-firing, but proper in-battery ignition), simulating the M16 full-auto mechanics.
    Always good to replace a disconnector as soon as it starts to wear....

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  8. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...atf-confirms-firing-ar-15-pistol-shoulder-ok/

Dear Sgt. Bradley:

This is in response to your communication dated January 24, 2014, to the Bureau of Alcohol, tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). Your e-mail was forwarded to the ATF Firearms technology Branch (FTB), Martinsburg, West Virginia, for reply. In your note, you ask about firing an AR-15 type pistol from the shoulder; specifically, if doing so would cause the pistol to be reclassified as a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR).

For the following reasons, we have determined that firing a pistol from the shoulder would not cause the pistol to be reclassified as an SBR:

FTB classifies weapons based on their physical design characteristics. While the usage/functionality of the weapon does influence the intended design, it is not the sole criteria for determining the classification of a weapon. Generally speaking, we do not classify weapons based on how an individual uses a weapon.

FTB has previously determined (see FTB #99146) that the firing of a weapon from a particular position, such as placing the receiver extention of an AR-15 type pistol on the user’s shoulder, does not change the classification of a weapon. Further, certain firearm accessories such as the SIG stability brace have not been classified by the FTB as shoulder stocks and, therefore, using the brace improperly does not constitute a design change. Using an accessory improperly would not change the classification of a weapon under Federal law. However, the FTB cannot recommend using a weapon (or weapon accessory) in a manner not intended by the manufacturer.

We thank you for your inquiry and trust the foregoing has been responsive.

Oh and FTATF.

9. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I've never liked AR pistols. Just a novelty imo, until now. The brace is very solid/stiff. More like a hard plastic. The only part that can be moved is the bottom part, being the thin bottom edges of the wings. Using the longer KAK buffer tube in this pic(its made specifically to be used with the Sig brace), it simulates the M4/MOE stock out 2 clicks. I typically keep my ARs at that setting anyway. At that length, its still is plenty compact for all intent and purpose. The brace cannot slide forward because of a raised edge where the brace ends toward the receiver.

I wouldn't go less then 10" if your wanting it for tactical/HD purposes.

And meanwhile, over at Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLD75DA63DD1F83C4E&v=qNMLO18kl98

Today at the house. Sighting it in(I've since replaced the 4.5" CAR15 style flash hider seen in this pic, for a KAK 3.25" x 1.3" Flash Can. Besides moving the blast away and down range, its also much better flash suppression. Not perfect, but still MUCH better then at least either this 4.5", or an extended A1 flash hider). I love it:clap::Putter:.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  10. SpeedyE

2B, I run my stocks two-clicks out as well. I drilled them behind the corresponding factory set-holes and installed roll-pins....so it is either closed, or yank it back to 2-clicks which is now the new maximum length.

None of my biz, but why do you have a petrified black man's giant penis in the photo?

:D

11. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

lol thats funny. seconds ago I'd just said to myself after noticing that..."what the hell is that thing?".. I think its a log laying next to the table. I use them to hold a tarp down over it to keep the table out of the weather when not in use. At least I hope thats what it is:p.

And thats a great idea regarding the stock. Much less time wasted making sure one is using the right stock length setting.

12. SpeedyE

:D:moon::D

13. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Now I know what I am building with that Spikes Zombie lower I have stashed in the safe....

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I think you need to fashion that giant wood penis into a rifle stock.
    Great conversation piece.

15. June-yer

June-yer Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks. Its coming back to me now. The issue was, how can you throw someone in prison because he owns a malfunctioning firearm? Not modified, but malfunctioning. Is there a law against owning a malfunctioning firearm? Who hasn't had a weapon malfunction? Is there a prohibition of running one's mouth about his gun? If so, lot of y'all's asses are going to jail.:D

Of course, the letter above makes it all crystal clear::rolleyes:
    "FTB classifies weapons based on their physical design characteristics."

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

LOL I saw this in an email earlier and my thought pattern followed yours exactly! Always wanted something styled after the Noveske Diplomat.

17. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Did this particular weapon have an M-4 bolt?

18. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

It shouldn't matter in the above situation. As we know, the added material that a full auto bolt doesn't come into play when the rifle is in semi auto mode. To summarize, when placed in FA mode, the trigger tilts forward(which makes the front edge of the hammer drop away from the bottom edge of the hammer), that in turn takes the trigger/hammer interface out of the process all together, and moves the job to the disconnector and auto sear interface instead. which in turn of course, is activated when the FA bolt drives home/forward.

What happens in the above case, is at the hammer/trigger lower engagement point isn't doing its job of holding the trigger back. If theres been excessive wear and/or combined with sometimes the aftermarket mfg quality of said fire group parts, it can lead to firing more then once while in semi mode. I know this from personal experience.. I had a self built CAR15 I built in the early 80s that after a yr or so, suddenly started double and even triple firing because of this. I promptly replaced the trigger and hammer and it hasn't done it since.

19. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

So what's the deal with the SBR? How do you legally build one? Do you have to hold an FFL? Anyone can buy an SBR upper assembly, but you have to submit a form and pay for a stamp to legally attach it to a lower. Who can fill out and submit the form to the ATF?

20. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

You need to fill out the forms, get finger printed, get your local sheriff to sign off and submit them yourself along with the $200 tax. Plus some info about the rifle itself. Then you wait 9 - 12 months for the ATF to run what amounts to a basic PICS check and you get a stamp that says you are allowed to possess the rifle.

The other way is to set up an NFA Trust which is a whole nother deal.