1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gsxr wheel bearing removal

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mike-guy, May 24, 2017.

1. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I've replaced a few bearings before and it was always simple. Push the inner sleeve to the side, whack out old bearings, press in new. Well my 08 gsxr 600 the inner sleeve won't move. Even with using a little force from a wooden handle it barely moves, not enough to get a drift or anything on it. Anyone got a suggestion before I just start getting aggressive with it?

2. mike-guy

Ok the dremel is about to come out.

3. Murcielago311

Murcielago311 Well-Known Member

Whole wheel in freezer, haha. Can you get anything between the sleeve and the bearing to chisel them apart?

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Mechanize likes this.
  5. mike-guy

Just put it in the oven at 350 for 2 hours. Not really. I tried to wedge something in there and it started to mar the sleeve. I'm usually not a fan of buying such specialty tools but this may be justified. I destroyed 2 sets of fork seals before I bought the proper driver lol.

Only thing with most of the ones I've seen and this one looks similar is that they assume you have a lip to grab with the puller. I got a fancy slide hammer, m

6. Mechanize

Mechanize Well-Known Member

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

This is the one I like because you don't need a gap between bearings or mating surfaces to get a "grip" on the bearing.

8. Mechanize

It sucks when the bearings seize up but otherwise they pop out in seconds. And I was pissed about them not including the gsxr size adapter. I think its a 30 or 32mm. Not sure off hand

9. mike-guy

I snagged one from harbor freight that needed a lip and it marred the sleeve a little. I was slamming on that thing so hard and it wouldn't budge. Aimed my heat gun at it for 15 mins and it popped right out. Major pain in the ass but I guess I'm better prepared for next time.

10. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

I have the same kit and it works okay, biggest issue is the tapered rod that gets pressed into the bearing puller is soft and needs to be replaced after pulling 4-5 bearings, at least that's my experience

11. Mechanize

I'm assuming you mean how the taper gets deformed. Take a grinder to it and reshape it. I've got 20 sets of bearings on it so far and its still going strong. Use oil on it too so it doesnt bite into the puller adapter as easy.

12. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Get this and don't look back. I LOVE mine. A blind bearing puller isn't the proper tool for this application. It will end up grabbing the inner sleeve also and will garf up the inside.