1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSXR Valves

Discussion in 'Tech' started by SLOhio, Mar 4, 2017.

1. SLOhio

SLOhio Active Member

Recently picked up a 2006 GSXR 600 (unknown miles, questionable care by previous owner). A friend and I are going through the bike and noticed this build up on the backs of the valves. I am a novice when it comes to bike maintenance, but he is seasoned. Both of us don't know what's on there. So I was hoping you guys could clear this up.

Thanks!

IMG_5452.JPG IMG_5453.JPG

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Carbon buildup....I think it might be your flash that's giving it that weird color....I'm assuming.

3. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Wasn't the flash. I was with him and it's silver which is what concerned me.

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's congealed unburnt fuel. Depending on the type of fuel used and the air/fuel ratio, you get various colors. Looks like you might need a valve job/top end rebuild.

5. Not that Rick's word needs it but I'll second that. Looks like an overly rich tune and you should consider having that head re-done.

6. SLOhio

SLOhio Active Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Just an update, I pulled the bazzaz to look at the map and there was no map loaded. It was completely blank. Bike has a full yosh exhaust with the cat. cut off and BMC filter. This may explain the valves/ insufficient air:fuel ratio.

7. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I should have a nice, clean head on a parts motor that i have. Low side busted the water pump housing/case like so many on these model year GSXRs.

8. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

Wouldn't seafoam clean that up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk