1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSXR stock rotor "floating"????

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gixxie750, Sep 8, 2010.

1. gixxie750

gixxie750 Well-Known Member

Ok I have seen ALLOT of the front rotors on the 06/07 gsxrs become "floating" or loose after some miles. I also have heard of making them "floating" by removing some part of the button. Is this bad? If the rotors do this after time is it safe to keep using them? I personally don't see it being bad till they are rally worn,but IDK...

2. auz_gsxr

auz_gsxr Well-Known Member

on one side of the rotor there is a split washer between the button and the rotor, removing these makes it "floating"

However as far as is this safe... I have wondered the same thing and considered that the benifits gained from floating rotors is not worth the possible side affects of a rotor failing while doing 220-230 into the norther hairpin at my local track.

3. gixxie750

I would never mod my stock rotors to float,but i would buy floating rotors lol. Basically I have a couple buddies and other riders I know with these loose rotors and they ask if its safe and i don't know how to answer?

4. auz_gsxr

braking is critical, if it fails, you're going to be in pain or a box...

At the end of the day, think of how the washer is removed, this process could easily strain the buttons.

I do know of people that can re-button rotors, so you'd be best of doing that, put in floating buttons...

5. jnjdad

jnjdad Well-Known Member

I replaced mine. My thinking was; if it is loose you have an actual impact when braking - slop until things touch. I am not sure the parts were expected to perform under those conditions.

6. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

I have 2 sets that have been modified, both have done a lot of race miles, and both are still A OK

7. chugs

chugs Well-Known Member

+1 i've floated my oem rotors and use them specifically 4 the track. I haven't had any problems at all. Works great!:up:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  8. auz_gsxr

how did you guys modify them then? The only how-to I saw was a guy with a vice and flat screwdriver to pry them out...

9. chugs

chugs Well-Known Member

Maybe iomTT got some pics? It's easier to explains with pics and currently I'm not at home.

10. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

No pics and Not done done by me sorry to say

11. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Hey Auz, off subject but, how does a New Ohlins shock V a New penske shock compare price wise over there mate, I realise the Penske is built to a higher standard in Quality control and product used to build them

12. auz_gsxr

Mate, to be honest I dont know as it is sssoooo much cheaper to buy stuff from the US it's the only way I get stuff, and also I dont know if there are any penske dealers here...

13. auz_gsxr

Oh but I did find someone that can service them... although he tried to tell me I'd be better off putting gold valves in the stock unit. Ah people trying to sell their stuff =P

14. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

One of my rotors has floated itself. I have not had any issues with it yet.

15. wera_123

wera_123 Well-Known Member

You're a "floater"!

16. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

If only ONE rotar has very loose rivets in it??? This WILL cause chatter/vibrations problems on and off the brakes dude, as one stays in the position it is designed to operate in, the other will hunt up and down/forward and back causing the issue I mentioned

17. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

"RADAR" Is the BEST man in Australia to work with Penske mate, he is very very good

18. auz_gsxr

Where's he located?

19. gixxie750

So is it Fine to run them if they floated themselves?

20. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Give me a few days dude, as soon as something I am worling on now is completed, I will send you the details, he is worth the time