1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSXR 1000 fork issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by daveknievel, Oct 1, 2019.

1. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

So, I have this 07 GSXR 1000 with valved forks. the DLC coating is wearing off and causing the fork legs to be damp with oil. I have the forks off and at WCW, but new lower legs are 823 bucks. I can't get 07-08 ohlins road and track forks. discontinued.

My question is, and I looked everywhere, will the 09-12 forks fit? Is it only the front wheel thats different? I have 2015 brembo calipers from the stock GSXR. All the stuff on ebay looks like junk. I'm not opposed to buying new ohlins, but was wondering if anyone has made the swap.

Thanks.

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Remove the lower stanchions and send out the tubes for a fresh DLC coating. It'll cost less than half of new lower assemblies and be better than the OEM coating. And put new bushings in the legs when they go back together. Tell Ron to reach out to me if he doesn't have a good place to send them.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Look at maybe getting them recoated either same or different coating. They do all time on motocross forks there has to be someone that will.

4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

5. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

The DLC coated tubes are known to thread away from the lower mount (caliper bolts to, axle goes through), i highly doubt your worn coating is the actual issue. Can you advise what makes you believe that is the problem?

6. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I have a fresh set of 07 GSXR 1000 forks with Ohlins 25's in them. When i say fresh, i mean 0 miles on them since they were rebuilt 2 yrs ago. Been stored inside the house, so fluid, seals, etc should be good to go.

7. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

I know its an old thread, but I got side tracked on other projects. I ended up buying 09-12 ohlins road and track forks. The last set ohlins usa said they had. Lol. It was way cheaper then having the lowers coated, or new ones then having cartridges built. The only thing I had to buy was a new lower triple for the 55mm dia. Forks. Did alot of research on tube diameters and steering angles. Was able to score a 2011 lower triple for 45 bucks. That was the only part I had to buy to make it all work. But its off to have it all set up and wait for the first trackday. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk