1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GS won't start, ran great previously

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Scotty87, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

It's not the carbs. They were drained, cleaned, and stored for the winter. Just to rule out, I cleaned the jets again and they are spotless. I rebuilt the motor last year and rode it all summer, ran great but there was a slight top end tick so this winter I took the valve cover off and measured lash. One valve was a little on the big side so I ordered up one size fatter shim and installed it. When I installed it, I did not remove the cam sprocket so timing did not change in any way (I used the ole bent zip tie under the valve, slide the shim out technique).

Big, fat spark in both cyls. Both plugs are wet. Brand new fuel.

Occasionally it will shoot a blue flame and pop out of the muffler. If I hold he throttle wide open and crank it, it pops back through the carb a lot.

The only thing I can think of, is I removed the right side cover to paint it, so I had to remove the advance. When I did so, I remember feeling a snap when the bolt came free. The crank end looks perfect, and the slot for the advance appears un damaged, but electrics are not my strong suit. I'm thinking I did damage it in some way. If the advance was damaged, would I still be getting spark at all? How can I test it to see if it's functioning properly?

And just to get a jump on the party - anyone got a GS450 advance for sale? :D

2. You're 100% sure that you didn't jump timing? 1 tooth on that motor won't create interference if I remember right but it'll barely start. Did you try and start it with starting fluid? Are the carbs still synced? Hard to know without having the motor running but if they're visually out of sync you'll have issues. Float heights set correctly? Motor isn't flooded at all (pull the dipstick and see if you have gas in the oil...)?

I mean you have fuel and spark so timing is the next step there. If you can't get it started with starting fluid double check the timing. You could have jumped a tooth on the crank if you took the tensioner out.

3. Scotty87

None of those things bro. Never removed the cams when I changed the shim, just picked it out and slid a new one in when the valve was hung up on the zip tie. I sprayed a tiny amount of starting fluid into each cyl, nothing.

I'm going to pull the valve cover tomorrow anyway to check, but the timing was spot on after I built in, the only reason I went back into it was the minor top end tick. I'm thinking my dumb ass mess up the advance when I pulled it, I was rushing and I forgot the set screw (not the right term) and I think I popped something. I post some pics tomorrow.

4. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Air, fuel, spark (at the right time) and compression.
    Sounds like you have the fuel and maybe spark covered. Nothing built a nest in the air box? What kind of compression numbers are you seeing?

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

When you took the advancer off, did you put it back 180* off. Sounds like it.

SBKBee likes this.
  6. Scotty87

No nothing like that, everything was apart for paint and powdercoat. Bike is like new. Less than 1k miles on the top end , ran like a top when I took everything apart for paint, compression not the issue. I'm starting to think more and more I have the timing 180 out or screwed something else up with the advance.

7. Scotty87

Well something doesn't look right here, but as I said electrical systems are my weak point. I really need to learn more. I verified the magnets are 100% in the right place, the wire routing is such that you can only install it one way. I pulled the advance, and this is what I found:

http://s45.photobucket.com/user/Sarnepics/media/761A13A7-FC5E-4940-9BB4-5B6529C64A9B_zpsgncabnmo.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

That little hole has some craggy looking metal in it. I have no idea it's purpose, or what it is supposed to look like.

8. Scotty87

9. Scotty87

10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

$250 cash money.... You can forget you ever had a problem.. Dump it off here at the NitroAcres Motorcycle RestHome, where old bikes go to live out their existance.

Shenanigans likes this.
  11. Scotty87

Bit of an update, and a huge thanks to Rich Graver, who has come through for me on more GS stuff than I ever deserved.

Somehow, my stupid ass completely snapped off both tabs of the advance arms. I know I did it when I removed it, I forgot the "set screw" that locates the cylinder looks almost like one piece and I ham fisted it instead of taking two seconds to figure out why it was being so hard to remove. Idiot. Been into this thing like 4 times and I forgot a basic, basic operation. They are small and it was kinda hard to notice at first, especially since this isn't a part I see all that often or ever needs service, but after looking at the one Rich sent me I immediately rolled my eyes and said 'you effing idiot' to myself. Out loud.

No time to install and test (been out of town for a week and just got home from a long flight) by I'm nearly certain this is the issue. There's no way it could have ran like it was.

12. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Agent 86 to Agent 99: "I missed it by this much"
    Agent 99 to agent 86: "The old 'What was the last thing you worked on' trick"
    Chaos !

13. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Good feeling to know you have it figured out in your head even if you don't have time to fix it right now isn't it? I'll plot and scheme on a project in the garage for weeks sometimes, make sure I have all the parts I need and then go out there and attack a project like it's my life on the line.