1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grom

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Aug 9, 2014.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

You could add 100hp but with that gearing you will still be at redline

2. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

these Groms are a huge pain in the ass to work on. need to remove the entire side bodywork for almost anything.

last night, i had to get to the lower motor mount bolt. to get to it, i had to remove the left rearset. the rearsets use the swingarm pivot to bolt to the frame. so i had to take out the wheel, shock, swingarm, both rearsets, and seat....just to get to one motor mount bolt.

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

i put the larger PCX150 injector on mine along with the finbro ecu

left it at stock gearing. it will do 52 up hill and 71 down in full tuck. got a full yosh and a chimera intake.

the cold start idle will not work, so you have to hold the throttle for 30 sec.
    other than that, the limiter is removed, which gives some flexibility between shift points.

i love it.

i still have a kitaco 183 cc kit sitting on the shelf, which i'm debating installing or selling. it's even got the oil cooler....

cha0s#242 likes this.
  4. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

This setup (minus the pipe) sounds like exactly what I need actually. Damnit. I was hoping not to pour money into this thing.

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

HAHAHAHAHA

don't fool yourself.

Sabre699 likes this.
  6. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

[​IMG]

Just installed my eBay plastics for $140 shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I am now removing suspension from my "first thing to get" recommendation. My Corbin seat arrived yesterday and it... is... FABULOUS.

8. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I saw this ADV Grom while passing through CO a month ago. It was for sale.

Attached Files:

cha0s#242 likes this.
  9. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

was that in South Park or around there ? I saw it recently too but can’t remember where

10. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

It wasn't South Park. I'm pretty sure it was Canon City. I was definitely on 50. It was for sale so maybe it sold to someone in South Park. Grom 4 sale.jpg

11. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

chimera intake installed. new fork seals and Ohlins internals installed.

cam and ECU flash next.
    i've got those chain adjusters with spools on my list when i replace the chain this winter

12. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

Any noticeable change with the intake? I'm debating one on a year round, rain, sleet hail, snow bike.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

then don't do an open intake ;)

Phl218 likes this.
  14. Phl218

Phl218 .

other than it being louder, i'd say maybe 0.2 HP? and lost 0.1 lbft of bottom end torque

BigBird likes this.
  15. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

everyone talks about the noise with the Chimera intake, but everyone already has full exhausts on their Grom. so i dont notice any additional noise.

i do really like the rod/brace that's included to support the fairings. it seems better than the old airbox.

the K&N cone on the intake is pretty covered, so i wouldnt see it being too big of an issue with rain.

16. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

what are you guys using to have spools?
    i've seen a few kits and they all look sketchy. like the $25 on amazon puts the weight on the chain adjuster screw. the one on MSX125accessories puts the weight on the rear axle.

let's just pretend that you forgot your spools werent very strong and an adult sat on the bike. i would want that held up by swingarm weight.

17. Past Glory

I have the OTB billet aluminum chain adjusters with their spools. I don't hesitate to sit on mine when it's up on the Woodcraft stand(s).

SuddenBraking likes this.
  18. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

So I guess those $160 adjusters are worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Past Glory

Every upgrade I've put on GROM has been worth every penny. I don't worry about the price when weighed against the quality. There are inexpensive (and downright cheap) alternatives for everything, but they've never been confidence inspiring to me.

20. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Damn - never knew those existed. They look the business.

They're $174 delivered :p