1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grom v Zuma

Discussion in 'General' started by Past Glory, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I know there is MUCH love for the Grom here, and that the Zuma (125) is considered a top flight pit bike. I am entertaining the idea of a purchase. The dealer has the Grom for $3K and a holdover 2105 Zuma for $2,500. Has anyone had (or do currently have) both and could enlighten me on how they stack up in terms of stock v stock in a (mostly) around town and Vintage Fest type multi day event use?
    I'll be honest and say that I kind of fear the Grom as an eventual money pit of modification, that Tyga bodywork package being the thing that is repeatedly drawing my eye.
    Thanks.

2. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Zuma. Just Zuma.

Manual clutches on pit bikes are silly.

On the other hand, Zumas can also become money pits.

3. Past Glory

Not looking for it to be a pit bike.

4. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Grom. You can always race the thing if you're bored.

BigBird likes this.
  5. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Given the choice, I would Grom

More functionality fun wise IMO

6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd only go Zuma if it was over 50% used as a pitbike. The Grom was made for riding around town. It's just hilarious all the time.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. Hooligan

Hooligan Just a wanabe

No matter the question, Grom is always the answer.

BigBird and t11ravis like this.
  8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Functionality: Zuma

Fun: Grom

Buy a used Grom and ride it until the new wears off, then sell it for what you bought it for and buy the Zuma.

9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

That.

If you want a pit bitch; Zuma. If you want fun; Grom.

The good thing is both of them inexplicably hold their value like they were a shitbox Jeep Wrangler. The used market is dumb and new makes more sense.

10. Past Glory

I will say that with the deliberate lack of allowable modifications, a WERA race Grom would be the least costly of the money pit paths. But then I'd need a pit bike.

11. You obviously don't have a Grom. :D

12. This

[/thread]

13. Chango

Chango Something clever!

No, but I had a 2-stroke Zuma for a couple of years. The amount of stupid being inflicted on Zumas was scary. The individual things may have been a bit cheaper, but the total amount of stupid was comparable.

I don't know of as many people inflicting the same amount of stupid on the 125 Zuma, but I quit paying attention a while ago now.

14. You can inflict a good bit of stupid on Groms too. Seen mine? :D

15. While I've never modded a Zuma, the Grom race class is based on WERA SS rules, and you can do a lot within those rules. You can easily end up $12-15k deep in a Grom and be 100% SS legal. And that is without touching the motor.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  16. Nailed it. When the weather is nice I'm on Grim 2-4hrs every day. It makes the little errands and trips to the gym a ton of fun.

17. Past Glory

Weren't they tightly hamstrung initially, not even allowing for rearsets or bodywork? I thought they were limited to safety wiring, gearing, brake lines and intake/exhaust changes to keep the costs down and the bikes in a "spec".

18. Mine has quite a bit of money into it. It's an 05 that I bought brand new. It's a lot of fun but a PITA at times changing over weights, springs etc depending on where you are bringing it.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

Initially, but now anything allowed in SS is allowed in the Grom Prix

20. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Translates to "Chaotic found a new website with Grom stuff he had to have, and everybody followed along."

Hooligan likes this.